Author Topic: Need a bit of advice  (Read 241 times)

Offline PhilBill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need a bit of advice
« on: Saturday 02 September 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
first please excuse my English, it's not my mother tongue.

I would like a bit of advice about a research I'm doing for someone I know.
I think I've looked everywhere possible on the usual websites you list otherwise so I believe - maybe wrongly - that I won't find this way what I'm looking for.
As expressed by Pam here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261434.0 I won't give any name publicly.

So, my research :
I'm looking for a proof of birth (birth certificate would be great of course) of a person who was born in Ireland in 1926. I don't know in which county. She then emigrate to the uk then to other countries and came back in England.

I've ordered the death certificate as this person died in England but I'm pretty sure I won't get more information once I've got this document. That may take a while as I've been warned so by the GRO. ("We are currently experiencing a high volume of applications... ...").

For what I know the 1926 census is not public and won't be before 2027. Can you confirm?

Even worse I don't know if that person was born before of after the census.

Anyway I would like to avoid waiting another 4 years to have the answer.

So can you give me any advice I could follow to find other tracks ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Need a bit of advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 23 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
first please excuse my English, it's not my mother tongue.

I would like a bit of advice about a research I'm doing for someone I know.
I think I've looked everywhere possible on the usual websites you list otherwise so I believe - maybe wrongly - that I won't find this way what I'm looking for.
As expressed by Pam here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=261434.0 I won't give any name publicly.

So, my research :
I'm looking for a proof of birth (birth certificate would be great of course) of a person who was born in Ireland in 1926. I don't know in which county. She then emigrate to the uk then to other countries and came back in England.

I've ordered the death certificate as this person died in England but I'm pretty sure I won't get more information once I've got this document. That may take a while as I've been warned so by the GRO. ("We are currently experiencing a high volume of applications... ...").

For what I know the 1926 census is not public and won't be before 2027. Can you confirm?

Even worse I don't know if that person was born before of after the census.

Anyway I would like to avoid waiting another 4 years to have the answer.

So can you give me any advice I could follow to find other tracks ?

Thanks in advance.

Two points:

- Was this person in England in 1939? If so then you should be able to find her in the "census" of that year (which was not a census - a national registration). That would then provide a birthdate.

- Not naming people only applies to living persons. As you say you have applied for her death certificate, there is no issue with providing her name.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 23 21:35 BST (UK) »

It depends on where in Ireland this person was born.  If the birth county was in the Republic of Ireland, my understanding is that the 1926 census returns will be made available online for free in April 2026. But if the birth county was in Northern Ireland, then you are out of luck, for the 1926 census returns have not survived.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
For Irish births less than 100 years old the actual certificate will not be available online. However, if the name isn't very common and the person was born in what is presently Ireland (not what is now Northern Ireland) you might find them in the index on Family Search-
https://www.familysearch.org/search
Put in the person's first and last names and Ireland for the place then click 'search.'
Next click on 'birth' and select 1900s then 1920s.
Then scroll through the results to see if anything looks promising.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PhilBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 September 23 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your prompt answers.

- Not naming people only applies to living persons. As you say you have applied for her death certificate, there is no issue with providing her name.
As for this the descendants don't know we are digging and that makes me feel uncomfortable. Not that there is anything illegal but imagine googling your grandfather's name and arriving here. I don't know. Well it wouldn't help anyway.

To answer your questions:
- that person went to England only in 1942 or 1943 so doesn't appear on the 1939 registration
- can't say wether it was in Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland. The surname come from the west coast so more probably Republic of Ireland.

Thanks again.

Offline PhilBill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 September 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
The search on Familysearch didn't give anything  :(