Author Topic: Newcastle General Cemetery (Old Jesmond)are the Burial Registers at the Library?  (Read 428 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if Newcastle Local Studies Library have microfilms of these burial registers?
I have access to the grave registers on FS

If so and someone is going to the library please could they check burials in Oct 1876 to see if there is an Eliza Annie Able/Abel who died at Carliol St on 18 Oct 1876 and is possibly buried on 21st Oct 1876

Burials in Consecrated area, Ward XIV, Section 6I graves 4 & 5
two grave register entries an early one :
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-CSW5-R?
and a later one (when the graves were full):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-CSW5-R?

Have a squint at the first image, it looks like she was buried in 1874 - which has then been copied over onto the next register book

and I looked (for blooming ages with every single variation on spelling/wild cards I could think of and then did it all again to be sure) but am unable to find a death registration for her in 1874.
but I did see one for Q4 1876 and (as its lots cheaper and quicker than a burial register copy from TWAS) I got the digital image and its for a 10 month baby Eliza Annie Able, who died at 26 Carliol Street on 18 Oct 1876, daughter of George Able a french polisher and his wife Matilda.

It feels right and does fit the death register entry, but she's the only person in either of those graves who is not related and it wasn't usual for the cemeteries to open a new grave for a little one so I'd like to be sure and then can stop mithering over it :-)

Though if the library doesn't have the burial registers I will just live with the 'on balance its right' as  the Newcastle Bereavement Dept charge £27 to find out and a TWAS copy for £7 is overpriced too.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle General Cemetery (Old Jesmond)are the Burial Registers at the Library?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 September 23 18:58 BST (UK) »
If no one beats me to it I will check for you when I can get to the library after work on a late opening night.  Maybe at some point in next few weeks. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle General Cemetery (Old Jesmond)are the Burial Registers at the Library?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 September 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you RTL, as per no rush, and don't make a special trip, just if you are going to be there. anyway.

Its  bugged me for two days now and I kept on having yet another go :-) Now I have that register entry I am more confident that the date on the original entry may well have been a badly written/faded 1876

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
Will get back in due course Boo. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,
I found the Old Jesmond Cemetery burial entry just before the library  closed last night.  It is on microfilm 1338.  You were spot on with date of burial:

Entry  6189
Eliza Anne Abel
Carliol Street
Burial Oct 21st 1876
Ceremony by Walter Cowie?/Gowie?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/259305151/eliza-anne-abel?createdMemorial=Yes

I have added this to Find a Grave.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 09:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks RTL. She's not related to our tree (though all the later burials are) but as you know I like things to add up and make some sort of sense. It just seemed unusual that a new, public at that time, grave was opened for a wee one as the usual thing was to bury them in a public grave which had previous burials but still some free space.
Now that I am sure that the burial was in 1876 it all looks right and will no longer niggle at me :-)

thanks again, as ever your help is very much appreciated.

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
RTL, I've just noticed that you have quoted a microfilm no. for that burial

Please could you tell me if there is a printed reference list in the library that you look at to see which microfilm no contains the info you need to look at ?

Having had problems in the past when I've asked them about burials registers I suspect they'd tried name indexes and grave registers but not the actual burial register.
 I thought that if I could say please would you check microfilm no xxxx e.g. a burial for Fred Bloggs on 01 Jan 1899 then that would enable them to actually consult the right film. Saving them time and also getting me the info I wanted.

I asked them earlier if they had a catalogue of the microfilms listing the film no and a brief description of the date range and type of register. I said I was particularly interested in cemetery records in the Newcastle area. I've had a reply saying they do have an
"index for Newcastle Cemeteries which runs to 29 pages" and its on microfiche which can be consulted in the library :-(

I am unsure if this microfiche is actually what I was asking about?

Please, please do not go to any trouble over this, I just wondered if you knew that other than the labels on the drawers and the more detailed labels on the MF boxes you are aware of the possible existence of a printed master list?

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 16:59 BST (UK) »
Good news is ..yes, I can tell you there is a printed 'master list'.  It is in an A4 binder and gives dates covered under each cemetery and what microfilm you can find each register on.
This binder containing typed up and  written lists is kept for perusal on top of the filing cabinet which contains these microfilms.
I know nothing of lists on microfiche - fortunately there is no need to faff about looking at fiche when there is this A4 binder to quickly refer to. ;)

As far as can recall there are two drawers which contain all these microfilms.
The next time I am in Newcastle on way home from a day shift coinciding with one of their late night opening I will make a start in getting you this info from the 'master list'.
I haven't got my new rota as yet but I daresay  it will be likely I will get an opportunity in the next few weeks.  Which cemeteries would you like me to prioritise?  I will make a start on those ones first, if you let me know.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 September 23 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation RTL,
I am assuming that the list would specify the register type in the description Burial Register, Name Index, Graves Register as well as the date?

and no, I am not about to ask you list all the films for the cemeteries that is way too much effort to go to.
Its not unreasonable to assume that if its printed then that must have been printed from a spreadsheet/word document (though if some is handwritten then the original file may be out of date I suppose).

Armed with your info I'll have another go at asking the library.

Boo