Author Topic: DNA results crack a mystery  (Read 919 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results crack a mystery
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 September 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Of the 1500 found relatives 70% were in USA.  From existing family tree data I know of only 3 who emigrated to USA so the 1,000 must be descended from siblings of my direct ancestors ... who are my primary focus group.
I've heard that FindMyPast DNA testing has more UK based results, anybody know different?
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results crack a mystery
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 September 23 13:05 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast DNA testing used LivingDNA, so anyone who bought a test through FindMyPast will be on their database. Yes, they are predominantly UK oriented, but their database is pretty small compared to Ancestry.

I have had a couple of good results from LivingDNA that hadn't tested elsewhere, and being on as many databases as possible is best for working with matches, but for perspective I have 435 matches in total on LivingDNA as opposed to around 10,000 on Ancestry.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire