Author Topic: Marriage Allegations / Oaths Warwickshire  (Read 189 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Allegations / Oaths Warwickshire
« on: Sunday 03 September 23 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, I am aware of a marriage in 1804 in Barford, Warks between Thomas Coleman and Mary Ann Parker. The Church Register says that the marriage was by license and that the bride was a minor. It also says that Thomas was "of this parish" and that Mary was "of the parish of Warwick".
I have some vague suspicions that both parties may have come from Oxfordshire in need of an urgent marriage. But then how would they get around parental consent for a minor.
What I would love to be able to do is see copies of the Oath and / or Allegation (sorry I'm not to well up on terminology for licences). Is anyone aware of a website where I might be able to see Warwickshire Marriage License papers please. Or might they be available at Warwick Records Office / Archives?
For those trying to help, be warned that some websites show this record as a Worcestershire Bishop's Transcript for some reason. Probably an error and then perpetuated by copying. 

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Allegations / Oaths Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Barford was in the Diocese of Worcester, so I would expect that your M.L. is probably in the Worcestershire Record Office, where they also hold calendars to the records.  If you can also find your record on-line, then more strength to your arm.

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:34 BST (UK) »
Aaahh! Thanks! So presumably most of south Warwickshire was in the diocese pf Worcester with Warwick not having a Bishop before the late 20th century? Thank you very much for your informative reply. I have had great success with Cheshire Oaths but not anywhere else. So far... I live in hope. I'm off to search Worcetershire Archive Catalogies.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 September 23 17:47 BST (UK) »
It isn't guaranteed to be in the Worcestershire Record Office, but, as Warwick was also in the Diocese of Worcester, you have a fine each-way bet!

I seem to recall that Shakespeare covered the distance between Stratford on Avon and Worcester on horseback to get a licence to marry Ann Hathaway.