Author Topic: Esther or Hester Parris baptism.  (Read 640 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Esther or Hester Parris baptism.
« on: Monday 04 September 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help with this.

Esther Parris married John Stephens in Kingsdown,nr Sevenoaks in 1823.According to the 1851,Hester was born c1801 Kingsdown,Kent,but i cant find a birth or baptism record for her anywhere.
 Also looking for the birth or baptism of a James Parris born c1798 Stanstead,Kent.The only possibility i can see is a James bapt in 1803 in Meopham,to Mark and Mary.Its a few years out,but Meopham is only about 6 miles from Stanstead.
I have DNA matches going back to both James and Esther,so i believe they are related.
Mark Parris married Mary Stephens,but ive forgotten to make a note of the date and place.He died in Cooling in 1822,but i cant find a baptism for him either.
Many thanks.

Nel

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Esther or Hester Parris baptism.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 23 16:22 BST (UK) »
1822 Burial gives Marks age as 51 - abode Frindsbury

Link to Cooling register
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sml/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
John Stephens, sojourner, married Esther Paris, sojourner, on 14th April 1823 in West Kingsdown. John signed by mark; Esther signed 'Hester Parris [not particularly legible].' The witnesses were James Parris and Mary Harris, who both signed their name.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 23 16:31 BST (UK) »
There is an Esther Paris baptised 30th June 1799 in Stanstead to Henry and Elizabeth.

EDIT - They also baptised a son called James in Stanstead in 1797.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 23 17:08 BST (UK) »
Quote:

Mark Parris married Mary Stephens,but ive forgotten to make a note of the date and place.He died in Cooling in 1822,but i cant find a baptism for him either.

Baptised as Mark Paris, 24th May 1772 Stansted St Mary the Virgin, Kent. Parents Francis & Elizabeth

Married as Mark Paris to Mary Stevens 5th November 1798, St Peter & St Paul, Ridley, Kent

Banns read 23//30 Sept & 7th Oct 1798

Witnesses to marriage Jane Stevens & John Leach

SS

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies,and sorry for the delay in responding.

I have a group of matches that im particularly intrested in,and these Parris ones are shared matches with them.So i thought id see where they lead,but i still cant see how they connect.Ive also found another match who goes back to Alice Clarisa Parris born 1859 Malling or Wrotham,to William and Frances.William born 1831 Wrotham,son of widow Rebecca.Rebecca Philips married William Parris 1828 Farningham.I havent yet managed to find anything on Rebeccas husband.
These Parrises seem to be quite heavily related to Stephens,and the matches to seem to suggest a link to my possible Stephens family from Sussex.I say possible because i cant be certain im related to them.
My direct ancestor Sophia Akehurst was baptised Feb 25th 1787 West Firle,illigitimate daughter of Frances.Then Frances Akehurst is shown as marrying William Stephens on same date.Then theres another marriage between Frances and William on 10th Oct 1787.Its been suggested to me that the 1st marriage is notice of intention to marry,the 2nd is the actual marriage.So with Frances child already born whem she announced her intention to marry William,i cant be sure hes the father.
Id be really grateful if anyone can help me unravel any of this,and establish a link between my Stephens,and the Stephens who are related to the Parrises.

Many thanks

Nel.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 September 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello
The Paris familyalso seem to be related and are descended from Francis Paris 1727 Wrotham -1800 Stansted Kent and Elizabeth Arnell married 17.3.1752 Westminster Clandestine marriages .
They have a lot of children
Francis 1753
Richard 1756-1812
James 1757
Thomas 1760-1817
Henry 1762-1835 and wife Elizabeth parents of Esther ,James and Mary
Jane 1764-1815
Sarah 1766-1815
William 1767
Benjamin1770-1792
Mark 1772-1822
Mary 1774
Elizabeth 1774-1866

They are all of Stansted where William and Rebecca were baptising their children Eliza and William .
William seems to have been buried 30 Dec 1832 at Stansted age 30
We know he was alive 9 Oct 1831 when his daughter Eliza was baptised so it would fit.
William bapt 9 May 1830.

There is a bapt for a William Paris at West  Kingsdown 17 Oct 1802 s of Thomas and Sarah
This is Mark's older brother -Thomas 1760-1817 married Sarah Fairman 26.10.1788 at Meopham.

So they are all one big family.

John Stevens who married Esther was born Jan 1803 Halling son of Stephen Stevens and Sarah Woolmer married 2 Nov 1798 Rochester.Stephen born c 1771.Buried 1840 so no idea of birth place.
Frances Akehurst of West Firle 1787 and William Stephens of Bishopstoye.The census gives birth 1763 and 1768.
William looks to be the son of Thomas and Mary West Firle bapt 7.3.1762.

Not seeing an immediate connection

Ciderdrinker

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 September 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

The only birth i can find for a Stephen Stevens around 1771 is the one born July 26th 1772 St Georges,Gravesend,son of Thomas,no mother shown.The William Stephens who could be related to me,born 1762 west Firle,had a brother Thomas,but he was born in 1763,so it cant be him.

The problem is,Stephens could just be a red herring anyway.What im pretty certain about is my direct ancestor Sophia Akehurst was born in West Firle in 1787,the illigitimate daughter of Frances.Im assuming from the census after the marriage that Frances was born 1767 Beddingham,to Joseph Akehurst and Frances unknown.
Sophia married Edward Carey in West Firle in 1804.Sadly,no online info that would give a clue to her father on there,but she did use surname Akehurst.I wonder if she would have done that,if William Stephens was her father?
If anyone has any further thoughts,or could suggest additional resources to confirm any of this,id be most grateful.

Nel.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 20:42 BST (UK) »
The more i look at this,the more i think the Stephens connection could be a red herring.The DNA matches i have go back to James and Esther,so the link must be further back,through Henry,or his wife Elizabeth Hallon,who married in Stansted in 1795.Or Francis and his wife Elizabeth Arnell,who married in Westminter in 1752.I cant find anything concrete on either of these Elizabeths.
The community trees on Ancestry have Francis as the son of John Parris born 1696 Sussex,and Jane Neville born 1700,but i cant find Francis baptism either,nor the marriage of John and Jane.
Id be grateful for any help with any of this.

Nel.