Author Topic: St George's Asylum Stafford  (Read 370 times)

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St George's Asylum Stafford
« on: Monday 04 September 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
My Gt Aunt Doris May Fieldhouse born 1903 was a patient at St George's from 1930 to 1990 before being moved to Hawksyard Nursing Home for the last years of her life Does anyone know if there would be any records of her time at St George's Poor Doris was never mentioned and i didnt know about her till i started the Family Tree so consequently I didn't know about why she was admitted there for 60 years All the relatives that would know have now sadly passed away
Susan
Staffordshire Gloucester Lancashire
Haines Allen Bennett Fieldhouse Beddall.Whittle

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: St George's Asylum Stafford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 September 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

Some details here www.archives.staffordshire.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BC13&pos=5

Have you made direct contact to try to establish whether there are any remaining records for Doris?

Additional details here www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=495

Monica

Added: You have been searching for a long time, Susan  :-\ I can see old post from you elsewhere from many years ago. Good luck with the searches  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 23 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica the only information I have been able to find out is her date of admission and her relatives details at the time I never been quite sure how to get into the National Archives site
Susan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
The link above to the NA site gives you details as to who may currently hold records and who was reponsible for the hospital over the decades.

I suggest you need to establish who is the custodian of patient records from the period you are interested in and then check whether any more detailed records exist for Doris. There may not be any remaining :-\

This may be one place to start asking questions about the archives www.nhs.uk/services/mental-health-trust/midlands-partnership-nhs-foundation-trust/RRE

Monica

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica will try there
Susan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 September 23 23:37 BST (UK) »
Doris shows in 1921 living at home and working as a shop assistant in a boot and shoe business. I wonder what happened to her in the following years leading to her admission.

Must have been serious and life changing to have then spent the rest of her life in the asylum  :-\

Monica

Offline elf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
Monica the only thing I can come up with was Doris's fiance died suddenly in 1929 and I'm wondering if maybe she had a breakdown as a result of this Now she would be given counselling but in those days it was so different and once she was  admitted to St George's it made her condition worse
Susan

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
My mothers cousin had an illegitimate baby in the 1910's..Her sister in law had her put away,stating she would go on to have more babies if allowed to stay at her home.She was in over 50 years..

Another case told to me by a Welsh friend was her relative was courting a man from another valley,which was frowned on and was forbade to see him by her father..Her sister taunted her somuch the girl threatened her with a knife..That was enough to put her away for her life in an institution.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
After rambling on..The point I'm trying to make is,did she have an illigitamate child that caused the family to put her away?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />