Author Topic: Williams Evan Griffith Jones Gwernymyndd  (Read 439 times)

Offline LASstunts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams Evan Griffith Jones Gwernymyndd
« on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:32 BST (UK) »
Major Brick Walls.  I'm trying to find info on George T Griffiths (b 1840 in London d 3/30/1915 in Texas) married Sarah Evans (b 12/3/1835 in Langynhafal, Wales died in 1902 in Coalgate Oklahoma)  I think they were married in 1860.  The caveat is that their daughter Elinor was born Sept 19, 1855 in Caernarvonshire Wales.  That would make George 15 and Sarah 20 and 5 years before they were supposedly married.  I wondered if Sarah had been married before but George's grave says father of Elinor - but maybe Elinor put that and it's rather funny that it has only her name and no other siblings.  I can't find George and Sarah in any 1860 or 1861 census with baby Elinor.  I was told that George came from a wealthy textile family in London but when he returned to London lost everything to his cousins.  George and Sarah had another daughter Sarah Jane Griffith (born 1863 in Caernarvonshire Wales and died in Coalgate OK in 1947).  In 1864 - George, Sarah and baby Sarah came to America leaving 10 year old Elinor behind.  I should note that Elinor is my Great Grandmother.  I cannot find out where they left Elinor.  She may have gone by Ellen but there are two many people with the same names to figure out who is who.  Elinor married Ellis Ramsey Williams (b Feb 10, 1841 in Llandrillo, Denbighshire, Wales and died in Texas July 26, 1912). She next shows up in the 1880 Texas census with 2 children.  George isn't with her.  Ellis shows up with her in the 1900 Texas census as do her parents George and Sarah - all living in TX   Ellis' parents were John Ellis Williams (B sept 16, 1801 in Denbighshire and died sometime between 1845 and 1849 ) and Catherine Jones (b 1894 Denbighshire and died in 1894 in Gwernymyndd).  John and Catherine had a farm in Gwernymyndd Mold Wales.  It was and still is on Swan Lane.  In the 1851 Census it shows Catherine (widowed), daughters Anne, Elizabeth and Margaret and son Ellis living at 69 Swan with servant John Lloyd.  The story was that Ellis was to carry the name of the family to the farm but when his first child was a daughter he sold the farm to his sister Elizabeth and moved to America. He became the black sheep of the family.  Elizabeth then sold it to her sister Margaret Williams Hughes.  The farm then was sold to the Humphery's and then the Littler's who were living there in 1970 and had lived there for 30 years. Brick Walls John Ellis Williams parents Catherine Jones parents.  George T Griffiths parents and Sarah Evans parents.  Who did they leave 10 yr old Elinor with when they came to US - Why didn't the take her???? Ellis is approx same age as Elinor's husband George.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams Evan Griffith Jones Gwernymyndd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
The caveat is that their daughter Elinor was born Sept 19, 1855 in Caernarvonshire Wales.

Does her birth certificate read as if parents were married or do they have separate surnames?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Major Brick Walls.  I'm trying to find info on George T Griffiths (b 1840 in London d 3/30/1915 in Texas) married Sarah Evans (b 12/3/1835 in Langynhafal, Wales died in 1902 in Coalgate Oklahoma)  I think they were married in 1860. 

The caveat is that their daughter Elinor was born Sept 19, 1855 in Caernarvonshire Wales.  That would make George 15 and Sarah 20 and 5 years before they were supposedly married.  I wondered if Sarah had been married before but George's grave says father of Elinor - but maybe Elinor put that and it's rather funny that it has only her name and no other siblings. 

I can't find George and Sarah in any 1860 or 1861 census with baby Elinor.  I was told that George came from a wealthy textile family in London but when he returned to London lost everything to his cousins.  George and Sarah had another daughter Sarah Jane Griffith (born 1863 in Caernarvonshire Wales and died in Coalgate OK in 1947). 

In 1864 - George, Sarah and baby Sarah came to America leaving 10 year old Elinor behind.  I should note that Elinor is my Great Grandmother.  I cannot find out where they left Elinor.  She may have gone by Ellen but there are two many people with the same names to figure out who is who.  Elinor married Ellis Ramsey Williams (b Feb 10, 1841 in Llandrillo, Denbighshire, Wales and died in Texas July 26, 1912). She next shows up in the 1880 Texas census with 2 children.  George isn't with her.  Ellis shows up with her in the 1900 Texas census as do her parents George and Sarah - all living in TX   Ellis' parents were John Ellis Williams (B sept 16, 1801 in Denbighshire and died sometime between 1845 and 1849 ) and Catherine Jones (b 1894 Denbighshire and died in 1894 in Gwernymyndd).  John and Catherine had a farm in Gwernymyndd Mold Wales.  It was and still is on Swan Lane. 

In the 1851 Census it shows Catherine (widowed), daughters Anne, Elizabeth and Margaret and son Ellis living at 69 Swan with servant John Lloyd.  The story was that Ellis was to carry the name of the family to the farm but when his first child was a daughter he sold the farm to his sister Elizabeth and moved to America. He became the black sheep of the family.  Elizabeth then sold it to her sister Margaret Williams Hughes.  The farm then was sold to the Humphery's and then the Littler's who were living there in 1970 and had lived there for 30 years.

Brick Walls John Ellis Williams parents Catherine Jones parents.  George T Griffiths parents and Sarah Evans parents.  Who did they leave 10 yr old Elinor with when they came to US - Why didn't the take her???? Ellis is approx same age as Elinor's husband George.

Sorry, just split your post to make it easier to read

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LASstunts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
What I found is from the England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 but I was looking for Elinor Griffith
Name   Elinor Griffith
Registration Date   1855
Quarter of the Year   Apr-May-Jun
Registration Place   Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Volume   11a
Page   575
Here obit says she was born in Cardingnshire South Wales Sept 19, 1855 and came to US in 1873

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
That birth registration gives mothers maiden surname as Morgan

GRIFFITH, ELINOR       mmn MORGAN 
GRO Reference: 1855  J Quarter in CARMARTHEN  Volume 11A  Page 575

What was George T's middle name. 

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
Where and when did Elinor marry Ellis Williams

Presumably this is Ellis Williams in 1841
Ellis   Williams   35   
Catherine   Williams   30   
Elizabeth   Williams   2   
Ellis   Williams   3 months. (age completed in the female column)
All born in County   (Denbighshire, Wales)
H0104/1403 bk11 folio 5 page 2

Elizabeth was baptised 28 Oct 1838 Llandrillo-Yn-Rhos - parents Ellis and Catherine
Ellis was baptised same place 21 Mar 1841

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 Census it shows Catherine (widowed), daughters Anne, Elizabeth and Margaret and son Ellis living at 69 Swan with servant John Lloyd.

69 is the census Schedule number not a house number.

There were several servants there plus 3 Visitors -
Eliza Williams age 22
Ellis Owens 41
Thomas Davies 40

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Link to 1880 census Texas for Ellen Williams age 35 bn Wales plus daughter Catherine A age 3 bn Wales and Ellis age 1 bn Texas
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MFNG-29J

ADDED
Is this the marriage for Ellis's parents, how did you establish Catherines maiden surname
Ellis Williams (Bachelor)
Catherine Jones (Spinster)
16 May 1837
Llanfair Juxta Harlech, Merionethshire
Witnesses Thomas Ellis and Margaret Jones

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 September 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Ellis Williams senior

WILLIAMS, ELLIS    age   40 
GRO Reference: 1842  March Quarter in CONWAY UNION  Volume 27  Page 266