Author Topic: WA and SA: Thomas TRUBEE, born 1829, Iver, Buckinghamshire  (Read 286 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
WA and SA: Thomas TRUBEE, born 1829, Iver, Buckinghamshire
« on: Wednesday 06 September 23 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thomas TRUBEE was transported to WA aboard the Halifax as a Parkhurst Boy in December 1841.   He married Mary Jane KERWIN in Northam in 1851 and had one son, James, born the same year.

According to Erickson's Bicentennial Dictionary of Western Australians he appears to have migrated to SA aboard the Kestrel on 27/05/1861.   Did he take his wife with him?   Did he return to WA?   Other than the fact his wife was found dead in her home in November 1880 according to the West Australian.......she was apparently an incorrigible drunkard......I can find no other information for him in Trove or Indexes.

I wonder if someone can help please.

Thank you

BAC3

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WA and SA: Thomas TRUBEE, born 1829, Iver, Buckinghamshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 23 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I'm assuming you know he had a child with his wife:
   James Trubee
Birth Date   Abt 1851   Northam
Registration Year   1851, #1798
Registration Place   Western Australia, Australia
Father   Thomas Trubee
Mother   Jane Kerwin

This son died 1898
   James Trubee
 Age   46
Death and registration Place   Western Australia
Father:  Thomas
Registration Number   1648
James is apparently buried in Northam cemetery. Death date given 9 December, 1898

So at least the person giving the information for the registration of the death knew of his father Thomas - not much to go on!

Another possible mention of the wife:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65485171
The Inquirer, Wed 7 Apr 1852
A woman named Truber (sic) was fully committed for trial for setting fire to the dwelling house of her employer, Mr. Morrell, of Northam.
And quite  long accounts of the trial -   she was found guilty and sentenced to 15 years transportation (where do you get transported to?)  There is no mention of her husband in this account.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/3173315
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65484285

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65741985
In 1855 Mary (described as a 'colonial convict') receives a ticket of leave to join her husband in the Toodyay district.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/69135232
The Inquirer and Commercial News (Perth), Wed 17 Dec 1862
Perth Police Court report
Mary Trubee and James Trubee— Found destitute at back of Colonial Hospital on the night of the 8th inst. ; dismissed. 

There are later reports of Mary's death but nothing to help with Thomas, and could find nothing in newspapers re the son,James

Judith

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 23 07:00 BST (UK) »
Presume you have seen this site which has photo of the markers on Mary and James graves

http://northamcemetery.atwebpages.com/

Cass

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 23 09:58 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you for all the information.......I'm very grateful.

Judith:  Mary TRUBEE could have been transported to Tasmania, although transportation to that State ended in 1853.

Cass:   Your burial details are interesting, which show that Mary TRUBEE was born in 1808 (She was actually born in 1831).  The other conclusion I've drawn is that there is no mention of Thomas TRUBEE and possibly therefore he did not return from SA after 1861!!  This supposition may be strengthened by Judith's research which all relates to occasions pre-1861, other than the destitution with her son, James, in 1862 (No support from a missing husband??).

Thank you both once again.

BAC3

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 23 04:03 BST (UK) »
I think it is possible Thomas had a brother named Stephen TRUBEE b. 1821 who was a convict sent to Tasmania. Convicted in 1841 for a 14 year term per Tortoise. Born Iver Buckinghamshire and was a labourer.
One record shows his father was named Stephen.
He received a pardon in 1851 and although I see no record of it, I think he went to South Australia.

It looks as if he died in an accident at Teatree Gully SA on 13th Nov 1861.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/158183946

This was a few months after the apparent Kestral sailing previously noted which took one  T.TRUBEE to South Australia in April 1861
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2933063

BTW, I see no mention of Mrs/wife/family named TRUBEE on that short passenger list.

Do you know the crime of your young THOMAS?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 23 06:41 BST (UK) »
The UK convict records for 12 year-0ld Thomas cite 'burglary'  as his crime.  Stephen TRUBEE's conviction is also for burglary and tried at the same court and date as Thomas.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 23 07:10 BST (UK) »
That is interesting Judith.
I can see on Stephen's indent in VDL, he stole butter and sugar plus other items from a residence.
Was Thomas; the same crime?
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue.  The Criminal Registers for England are on Ancestry with other criminal recoprds which don't containany further information.

Stephen TRUBEE, 21, County Sessions,29 June 1841, "Burglary simple before convicted of felony", sentence 14 years.

Thomas only has "burglary simple" as his crime.

By 1849 Stephen had a ticket of leave.

Judith

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 23 11:00 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the research.

Sadly, the newspapers only carry a report about the first offence committed by the brothers, namely, stealing a "dung fork" for which they were sentenced to one week's hard labour and a whipping. 

I find it remarkable that they both migrated to South Australia, roughly at the same time it is assumed.  Could they have been in contact after being transported and arranged to meet once they were "free" to travel??   Another insoluble mystery!!!!

BAC3