Author Topic: Re old photo copies of photos  (Read 715 times)

Offline haagseknul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re old photo copies of photos
« on: Wednesday 06 September 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
I have a number of photos of family members that were photocopied and therefore I don't have the original for most of them.  I tried to dissect separate headshots for each member to put into a family history book however, some of them are rather blurred.  Perhaps it's the way I scanned it because when I enlarge the photo it loses its crispness.

I've attached the family group photo as an example.

Thanks for any tips.

BJ

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Re old photo copies of photos
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Just moving this one up the board; it seems to have dropped out of sight before receiving a response.
peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 23 10:59 BST (UK) »
Obviously the more you enlarge a pic the less clear it becomes and photocopies are not great quality to begin with.

Rather than trying to crop out individuals, it is better to do this at the scanning stage. When you scan, most scanners have a 'preview' facility where you can select a specific area to scan. Select your individual and scan it at the highest resolution as a png or tif file. This is the best result you are going to get from your source image.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
Can you rescan it. At the moment it seems to be a 96dpi, can you try say 600dpi and see how that goes:

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
My Try

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi BJ... sounds like a couple of things going on there. You DO NOT have the originals - so photocopies are most often not anywhere near as good. By photocopy - do you mean like a copier copy - A Xerox?

And as some have mentioned already, a higher resolution scan - might help, if there is any detail to be had in the photocopy. Those details may have already been lost in the copying. It appears that what you have uploaded here is maybe a screen grab of what you were placing in you doc?

Offline haagseknul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all that have given their valuable input.  I will try some of those suggestions.

BJ

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 22:29 BST (UK) »
Your image is Edwardian.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline haagseknul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 October 23 23:03 BST (UK) »
To RJ137 Excellent job.  It cleared up the whole picture that I can use.  Thanks so much.