Author Topic: RESIZING IMAGES  (Read 509 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RESIZING IMAGES
« on: Thursday 07 September 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
I am a new member. I have posted on a number of the "Free Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs" forum requests. I have been very impressed by the efforts and results by so many of the established members, and the knowledge of moderators and contributors. I have seen some recent inquiries about resizing images to meet the 500 KB maximum individual image post requests for restoration.

I recommend you read the various previous posts referenced by Sarah, and originally posted by "deadants" and "PrueM" and others. Especially if you are somewhat computer and graphics savvy. They are very well written and very informative.

If you are not, it can still be somewhat confusing to you. It is always helpful when seeking advice if you identify the OS (Operating System) platform that you are on. Windows, Mac, Linux. For most - that will be Windows. Also... if you can list the apps that you have access to, and are familiar with. Others can better offer advice that specifically applies to you and your situation.

I happen to be on a MacIntosh (Apple). Macs have, and have always (as long as I can remember) had, "PREVIEW" as part of the OS. Preview (application) simply lets you "open" images, and lets you do some modest file management and adjustments. Preview supports a large set of image file types, including JPEG (JPG), PNG, PSD (Photoshop Document), and TIFF (Tagged Image File Format). When you receive a photo that you can’t open in your photo editing app, you may be able to convert it to a file type you can use.

If you are lucky enough to be situated similarly, this resizing of images can be fairly simple.

First, One your file in Preview.

1. Open.
2. Tools / Adjust Size
3. Save

Alternate to Save would be "Export". Export is where your "image compression" comes in.

4. Export (alternate to Save) - choose compression value. The higher the better... but you may need to lower until you meet the 500KB size limitation.
5. Save (from Export)

As mentioned and explained in previous discussions, You want to size your images first, before you apply any level of compression. Although a carefully planned combination of both (light on the compression) can produce your best results.

I am not that familiar with PC's and the Windows environment, but I can usually stumble around and make my way through. I have seen from searching the internet that "XnView MP" is supposedly a free Windows alternative to Mac's "Preview" I am not familiar with and can NOT recommend, but it seems like something that would be of help. Perhaps those more familiar with the OS and the app can weigh in.

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: RESIZING IMAGES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 23 02:34 BST (UK) »
As an alternative to a direct SAVE.. one can EXPORT and apply a level of compression. Obviously, BEST is the best, but a modest amount of compression will NOT kill your image.

As you can see in my example, my level of compression is "already" significant, and has yet to meet the 500 KB size requirement (only at 516 KB). So... it would be best if I sized down the image first, before applying any greater amount of compression.

It is wise to observe the recommendation of making small, modest adjustments in sizes (dimensions), resolution and compression, while checking your file to see if it has successfully come down in size to meet the maximum allowance. You don't want to needlessly reduce your file size any more than you have to.

WHAT YOU DO NOT want to do is resize, save and close. And then reopen that "just saved" file, and reduce again... and perhaps do it a second and third time - each time closing the image document. Each successive save, reopen and resave will further degrade your image. You want to do all of these adjustments at one time, meeting the requirement in one Save from your ORIGINAL image file.

The very worst thing you can do is save your file to a much smaller than needed file size, and then upon realizing this, reopen "that" file and upscale it. This will really result in a loss of original image quality and perceived resolution.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 September 23 09:12 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks for that, really helpful

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 September 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
AN ADDENDUM...

If you are trying to resize an image and are going through multiple steps and efforts to achieve the result you need, it is BEST to have made a copy of your original. Simply copy it and work on the copy. Place the original in a folder where it can not be altered.

Why??? If you inadvertently overwrite the original with "bad" specs and have somehow managed to really degrade the original image quality, and destroy the resolution details (BELIEVE ME - it isn't hard to do), you always have the original file, sitting in that protective folder. Take a MULLIGAN... and make another copy - and start again. It is sort of like practicing - until you get the process down.

AGAIN... if you simply SAVE and overwrite the original (and you have it no-where else) - there may be NO going back. Of course, those who back up their systems, and use backup procedures like TimeMachine could always go back a day - or even an hour, and restore their original. It that sounds foreign to you - then definitely make a COPY of your original.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
Good write up.

I generally use an iPad and the process I use is a little different as the included Photos App is a little bit limited.

Affinity produce an App called Photo 2, which I use.

Import an image from the standard Photos App, then select Export.

The dialogue box then presents the Options.

Simply change the pixel value and away you go.

This is the result a mere 75kb

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 23:01 BST (UK) »
Resized 800x559 and 164kb

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 02:56 BST (UK) »
Good write up.

I generally use an iPad and the process I use is a little different as the included Photos App is a little bit limited.

Affinity produce an App called Photo 2, which I use

I have heard a lot of good things about the Affinity line of products/apps. Nice competition to Adobe CC Suite and much easier on the pocketbook. I use Photoshop, Lightroom and all the other design apps in the CC suite. Have considered trying Affinity's lineup, but as long as I am employed by current agency my CC subscriptions are free (to me anyways)! Appreciate your mentioning an alternative method to assist others Biggles50.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 14:23 BST (UK) »
Largely because I prefer a one-off purchase to a subscription, I bought Affinity Photo 1 a couple of years ago when they were doing a half-price offer, and I've found it very good.

I'm not so keen on the cost of upgrading to v.2, so unless there's another half-price offer I'm unlikely to do so - and I think I saw somewhere that v.2 needs a better graphics card than I have anyway.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk