Author Topic: Mystery from Bishampton  (Read 357 times)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mystery from Bishampton
« on: Thursday 07 September 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
My ancestor was Isabel Kinman who married Edward Attwood in Aston Cantlow, Warwickshire in 1690. In title documents to the Manor of Great Alne, she is listed as kinswoman of the  Isabel Wagstaffe, widow, of Bishampton and only daughter of Richard Kinman of same. I can find a record of an Isabel Kindman baptized in Bishampton in January of 1671 to Richard and Isabel. I can find no record of marriage between Richard and Isabel. Could this be why she is referred to as kinswoman not mother or is there another practice I’m not aware of?
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery from Bishampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 23 03:46 BST (UK) »
One Richard Kinman in 1705 requested a licence to hold Quaker meetings at his home. This might explain the lack of marriage information if they were Quakers. Quakers did not marry within the church and on some cases their marriages were not recognized.
Thoughts?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 23 04:54 BST (UK) »
Can't help with any marriage information, however you may be interested - Richard KINMAN of Bishampton is quoted in "Piety promoted, in a collection of dying sayings of many of the people call'd quakers. With some memorials of their virtuous lives. The fifth part". The fourth edition. By John Field. Published 1775

"Richard Kinman, an ancient Friend, who was truly owned and in Unity with his Friends, and of an upright and blameless Life and Conversation, and loved the Truth, and sometimes bore Testimony to it in Meetings.
  A little time before he departed this Life, he said, I know my Redeemer liveth, and that he hath done that for me none else can do; and I believe it will be well with me. With which Testimony Friends declared their Unity.
  This, though short, is published to shew how this honest ancient Man retained his Integrity, died in the Faith, and obtained a good report. He died the 23d of the Tenth Month 1713, at Bishampton in Worcestershire. Aged 72 Years."

Basically the same item is published in 1721 -  "Piety promoted, being a collection of the dying sayings of many of the people called Quakers. With some memorials of their virtuous lives and Patient Sufferings. In five parts." By John Tomkins

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 23 05:08 BST (UK) »
Just reading your post again, are you thinking that Isabel WAGSTAFFE is your Isabel's mother? "kinswoman" could mean any kind of family relationship -  sister-in-law, cousin, aunt etc. Can you find any WAGSTAFFE connection to the KINMANs?

Is this her burial - Isabella WAGSTAFFE of Fladburie, widow, buried 20 Jan 1683/84 at St James Bishampton (on FreeReg).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 23 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a Will for Isabella Wagstaffe widow of Bishampton 1684 at Worcester.
Earlier Will for s Thomas 1661 may be her husband.
Richard Kinman yeoman 1693 Will and another one 1713
So maybe get onto The Hie ant Worcester

Ciderdrinker

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 23 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the leads. I recognize kinswoman could mean a number of things. I have requested details on obtaining copies of the wills you listed at The Hive. Hopefully there are some details there which can lead me in the right direction.