Author Topic: Immigration records  (Read 189 times)

Offline Libby56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration records
« on: Friday 08 September 23 12:50 BST (UK) »
My gggrandmother was born in Prague, Bohemia in 1858 and emmigrrated with her parents to London,  in 1860 ish. Thanks to Fiddlerslass last year I found the records in the Prague city archives. I'm still working on translating it all but I'm getting close. What I can't find is any record of their journey, their change of status, eg naturalisation. If I could find out where to look I'd be happy..... :)
Ward, Bentley, Reeves, Sharpe. Everett, Rowe.
 Cox, Bulgin,

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 23 13:21 BST (UK) »
Naturalisation might show up in a search of the London Gazette.  It's search engine isn't the best, however.
There's some advice on the National Archives website.
As I understand the law at the time,  if she married a British citizen she would automatically acquire British nationality and that wouldn't leave a paper trail.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Libby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 23 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi  GrahamSimons! my gggrandmother was only a small child when the family landed, I don't know how the system worked back then. Their name was Fochnrich and changed to Fendrick, I assume that was after they'd arrived. The only document I have is a smallpox certificate for the child maybe proving she was safe to travel. She was a British subject by the time she married in 1879.
Thanks for your suggestion :)
 Cox, Bulgin,

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/immigration/

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalisation-british-citizenship/

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passengers/

You say that she was a British subject by the time she married in 1879 - I'm wondering how you know that (and for that matter whether she really was British - as there wouldn't have been much checking of paperwork at that period)?

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Libby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 23 15:26 BST (UK) »
On the census' 1881 and after they all declare Bohemia, or Austria,  British subject that's why I'm trying to find the records. I'm also trying to locate a copy of the book Immigration and Aliens that BerlinBob has mentioned previously.
 Cox, Bulgin,