Author Topic: Chirk Mill  (Read 472 times)

Offline Tracy Butler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chirk Mill
« on: Friday 08 September 23 15:37 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with history of Chirk Mill please. I'm finding it very hard to find any information regarding workers at the mill, people who lived down on the site, anyone actually born or passed away at the site. When they started the undershot wheel, when it changed to an over shot wheel, any names of workers down here. Can anyone help at all please?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk Mill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

It is unlikely you will find anything re the names etc of workers.  Are you researching a particular ancestor who worked there?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tracy Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 23 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, no we live here and although all the common facts are accessible and easy to find there's no in depth history. People/workers had houses down here that they lived in. I'm just very curious and interested.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 23 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy and Welcome

I was born and lived in the Chirk area  until I was 18 and know something about the Mill. I don't know very much of the history but have some books by a local historian that would include information about it. I'll get them out and give you some information later today or tomorrow.

I think the mill was in St Martins parish as it was just a few hundred yards from the Welsh boundary!**

Are you related to the Chirk Butlers as one of my friends was a Butler. Her father died in an accident at Ifton colliery. My father was on the same shift.

Regards

Gadget

** add - old maps show it just inside the Welsh side as the border swings south and follows the river there. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I've just remembered that there are two groups on Facebook related to the History of Chirk - one public and one members only.  I'm not on Facebook but I know some of the people who are in the groups and they would be able to help you.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 23 17:38 BST (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 23 17:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I'm adding info in dribs and drabs at the moment! I am trying to locate the books.

I assume that you have seen this piece::

https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/310469/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
The books that I was referring to were:

A History of the Parish of Chirk
and
Parishes of St Martin's and Weston Rhyn

Both by C Neville Hurdsman nd published by bridge Books, Wrexham

If they're out of date you will probably be able to get them via the library or locals with an interest in hirk history.

There are refs to both Castle Mill and Chirk Corn Mill, which I think is yours. Not much info is given and it might be worth looking through the 'Chirk Castle Papers'. available online from the National library - https://www.library.wales/

Gadget

(I'll see if I can find more info and report back )

Offline Tracy Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 September 23 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
THankyou, yes I've seen some of these items. Yes we are the Butlers. My husbands grandfather and great uncle were both millers at the mill Noel and Alex Davies. Alex left and joined the church. Alex' daughter married Jerry Butler. I married Meryl and Jerry's son.