Author Topic: Emigration route for Australia in 19th century  (Read 457 times)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration route for Australia in 19th century
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 September 23 09:48 BST (UK) »
Leaving Liverpool, Plymouth Glasgow etc.
That is where the ship started it's journey. Then they drop off and pick up on their travel.
Mail, goods and people.
Last port of call would be Cork. This is where most people got on the ship.
Then as they go south from where the ship started it's journey Captains change and crew.
I did follow one group of people on their ship lists. They left Glasgow on the Flora MacDonald. They left from Cork. When they arrived in Australia it said it was on the Flora.
Going by the hand written information it was the same ship but had three Captains.
Usually going to USA and Canada they left from the West coast of Ireland, Galway, Westport, Donegal, Mayo etc.
Maggsie

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 September 23 00:53 BST (UK) »
That may be so for some sailings but many, if they were sponsored or through an immigration scheme, had a passage to wherever the ship was leaving from included as part of the the package, in my case my gt grandmother and the toddler went to Plymouth from Co Londonderry.  Then a fast trip via Teneriffe and the Cape to NZ, sometimes they stopped at an Australian port.  These were the days in the 1880s where 'short' passage times were a point of difference and were avidly reported in the newspapers at the time.  The ship my gt grandmother came out on, the Ruapehu, regualarly broke sailing time records. 

I have had ancestors leave from the south or west of ireland, at this time,  but they were mainly going to the US. 

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 September 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
All so true. That's why I said you have to follow the journey.
Maggsie