Author Topic: Martin Barron, died 22 Jan 1924  (Read 812 times)

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin Barron, died 22 Jan 1924
« on: Saturday 09 September 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to find out any information about Martin Barron, an Irishman, who emigrated to NZ around 1900 and died in Ponsonby, Auckland, in 1924. I've seen his death certificate. I'm particularly interested in any family members he had. However, I can't seem to get any census information.

Martin had been married to Margaret, and had five children, all of whom emigrated with him from Ireland in 1887, but to where, initially, I am not sure.
His last Will left his goods (he was a labourer) to Edward Long of Manaia. There was no mention of any family.
Many thanks
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Barron, died 22 Jan 1924
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 September 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry

Unfortunately in New Zealand, we don't have census information in the same format as that of say, the UK, (- although censuses were taken in NZ - these were of no value to family historians and mostly were destroyed).  We do however have other records we can use as substitutes.  ;)

In looking at electoral rolls, I can find Martin BARRON residing in the Taranaki region from 1900.   By 1908 he is at Pihama (a setttlement in Taranaki) working as a labourer, and between 1911 and 1914 he is in the same region and listed as a "poundkeeper" residing at Manaia.   Still there also in 1919.
By 1922 he appears on the Auckland West electoral roll, - living at Little Sisters of the Poor and is described as an "inmate".

From those earlier Taranaki rolls, he appears to be living without family around... and although there are one or two persons named BARRON in the vicinity,  they possibly are not related ?  (I could well  be wrong on that, but without having names of his family. it's only guesswork on my part.   ;D)

The following notices appeared in newspapers, recording his death.  While described as an "old identity", I think that maybe refers to his age ??  ... rather than the length of time he spent at Manaia and environs.    I also note from his death certificate (annexed to Probate record - see link below), that the "Years in NZ" column, states "about 25 years" - which is consistent with the time of his first appearance on the Taranaki electoral roll.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HNS19240123.2.8
   [ ... similar notice in "Taranaki News" ]

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/STEP19240124.2.13

Link * to Probate file for Martin BARRON  > ... includes copy of his death cert.
https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE54835449

*   Do you have names / birth years, for the children of Martin and Margaret  ??

It is possible that they may have arrived firstly in Australia ?      Martin hasn't shown up on any  passenger lists to NZ but that would not be unusual if he'd been in Australia prior, as no further immigration procedures were required to enter New Zealand from there.

~  Lu

Added:  * This link should work at a later time (Archives NZ site under maintenance currently)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 September 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
His Findagrave entry has his birth as 1857. I have looked for possible marriages in Ireland to a Margaret but none would fit with his age & having 5 children by 1887.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/253580770/martin-barron

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 September 23 14:37 BST (UK) »
His last Will left his goods (he was a labourer) to Edward Long of Manaia. There was no mention of any family.

Gerry ... just adding this for Edward LONG (in case you are interested ).

Death of Edward LONG >
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HAWST19351223.2.27

There is a marriage recorded in NZ for  - Edward LONG - Margaret SLATTERY - Year :  1900
I checked this against two trees published at ancestry.com - bride appears to have been Margaret Ellen SLATTERY.

There were a few "so-called obituaries" pop up for Edward LONG in 1935 (all only a mere line or two).   The following though paints a most favourable picture of the man >
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TDN19351224.2.74

Edward William Patrick LONG - born c. 1906 - s/o above Edward, was the beneficiary of Martin BARRON's estate, with Edward LONG being the executor of same.   Maybe it was their "Irishness" that united Martin and Edward ? (Edward was born in Limerick.)

~   Lu

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 September 23 14:47 BST (UK) »
correction:- On findmypast there was a Martin Barron, born 1852, on an Australian passenger list in 1887

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 September 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
Martin BARRON >

His age is given as 72 * years at his death in 1924 ... = bc 1852 ??
Added :   *  this age is as reported in newspaper notices .

Have just located this entry in Australia >>

BARRON - Martin 
Per ship "Oroya"  to Victoria, Australia
Date:  August  1887

Can try and follow up on this ... does look as if he was possibly travelling alone to Australia ??

~  Lu

added:  oops  ... sorry Kloumann ... our posts seemed to have crossed    ;D

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 September 23 14:56 BST (UK) »
Martin BARRON - is the last name appearing at the end of this list > [Ship:  Oroya - 1887  ]

https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/4265C2CF-F96C-11E9-AE98-0BD8C3464E1D?image=156

Not much help (information-wise) really.   ???

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 September 23 15:19 BST (UK) »

Should have checked this earlier (given what the Findagrave result showed - although I always favour an official record over the volunteer-transcribed Findagrave listings).  8)

NZ BDM - Death index has    >

1924/232 - BARRON - Martin - 67 years
  [= bc 1857 ]

So the NZ newspapers have 72 years  ... who's to say which is correct ???    ;D

~  Lu

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for this rapid research.
We have a  Barron relative living in Aus who has done great research already. But his information on Martin was limited.

What we know as fact is that Martin was born on 29 Jul 1851. He had one older brother, Patrick, who had emigrated to New Zealand in the early 1880s. (No family is known of.) Their mother died in 1856, and their father remarried, so there are many half-siblings.

Patrick, his only full brother, was in the Auckland area of New Zealand, working as a gold miner at St. Bathans. His name did not appear on electoral rolls in 1893, so perhaps he either died or left New Zealand then.

Martin married Margaret (nee Delahunty) on 21 Sep 1875. They had five children, Ellen (1877), Patrick (13 Mar 1879), Thomas (21 Dec 1880), Bridget (26 Mar 1884) and Richard (3 Mar 1887).

When Richard was but a few months old, Martin, Margaret and their five children left their farm on Little Island, Carrick on Suir, Tipperary and emigrated. (Little Island was a farm. To get to the mainland the cattle swam across and Martin followed in a boat!) 

Thanks to your research, we know now that he certainly went to Victoria. However, can we find out if his wife and children were with him?

In any case, he seems to have been without children or wife for his time in NZ.

Again, many thanks for all this help. Much appreciated.

Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,