Author Topic: Martin Barron, died 22 Jan 1924  (Read 811 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Barron, died 22 Jan 1924
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 September 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
Info for Patrick BARRON (in New Zealand)  :

Patrick, his only full brother, was in the Auckland area of New Zealand, working as a gold miner at St. Bathans. His name did not appear on electoral rolls in 1893, so perhaps he either died or left New Zealand then.

Seems probable that Patrick BARRON actually remained in the South Island of New Zealand rather than having ventured to the major city of Auckland (North Island) ?    St Bathan's is located in the South Island and all newspaper reports indicate he was working and residing in that vicinity from about 1872, at least.  [Archives New Zealand - references to mining claims - 1872 + .  These are only index listings. ]

PapersPast (our historical newspapers site) https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers
has further info for Patrick BARRON :  [On sidebar of search feature, select "Title" - from which you can narrow down newspapers to search on.  Select "Otago" for the region.  Mostly Patrick BARRON appears in newspapers "Lake Wakatipu Mail" /  "Loke County Press" ] :

I've located Patrick's burial place also ... see following post >

~  Lu

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 September 23 23:50 BST (UK) »
Wow!
Both brothers were a little strange. I think of Martin being with the Little Sisters in 1924, more than likely destitute at that time.
Sad.
But thanks for unearthing and expanding their history. I’ll put it up on Ancestry. (If you’re interested, I’m Gerry Kane, public tree). The Barrons were a fertile lot. Hard to follow them all.
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 September 23 00:04 BST (UK) »
Patrick BARRON :

He appears to have re-located to Dunedin (South Island) once his mining days were over.

I find this link a little annoying  ::)  ;D ... but thankfully there is also info from the burial register available.
https://www.dunedin.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/cemeteries-search?recordid=1934&type=Burial

Burial Register for Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago :  [Transcript]

Block 24 -- Plot 164 -- Class 3

BARRON - Patrick :  Died 11 June 1915 aged 78 years - a miner - resident at Anderson's Bay - Born County Kilkenny, IRE - lived 54 years in province* -  Buried 14 June 1915  (Roman Catholic) :

[ * province is Otago ]

[Note :   Date of birth equates to 1837 ... which may not be correct.   If he had no family locally, then his age may just have been guessed at.   "54 years in province of Otago" - again probaby an estimation ?  - has him arriving about the time of the Otago gold rush.  Many men left the goldfields of Victoria (AUS) around this time ... Patrick too, may have come to NZ from Australia ? ]

~   Lu

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 September 23 00:06 BST (UK) »
That all sounds plausible. I’ll add it to the Ancestry tree, which can act as a sort of flycatcher.  Tomorrow!
Ta.
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 September 23 10:59 BST (UK) »
Info for Patrick BARRON (in New Zealand)  :
.... sorry - this I posted this in error  ... (don't seem to be able to erase all of message, so have left it as such.)