Author Topic: Sidcup Hospital 1921 census  (Read 500 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sidcup Hospital 1921 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 September 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Queen Mary’s Hospital was my local hospital as a child living in Sidcup in the 1950s and 60s. When I broke my arm aged 4 and had to to hospital it was a trip on the 228 bus and then you walked down Frognal Lane to the hospital. I had to go weekly for 6 weeks and each week as I walked down the Lane I collected a bunch of dandelions, buttercups and daisies which I gave to the doctor who passed them onto the nurse!

The wards were huts with the paths between them open to the sides but roofed over. I remember also aged 4 being taken to stand outside the children’s ward hut and my brother being held up to the window so I could wave to him.

10 years on my father was in one of the same hut wards and so was my mother another couple of years later. I think the hospital was rebuilt in the 1970s but I’d left the area then.

For 7 years I walked, bussed or cycled past the end of Frognal Lane on my way to school just over the A20 and up Perry St and turn right.

Just found this

https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/queenmarysidcup.html

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies. They are very helpful. I’ll be getting back to research later this week but we’ve had a new grandchild just born , so have been busy giving childcare to the slightly older one.
North East of England

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 23 23:00 BST (UK) »
https://www.greyandscarlet.com/queen-marys-hospital-frognal-avenue-sidcup-kent.html

The photos of on this site although I guess from an earlier age are just how remember the hospital with paths between the wards just having open sides and a roof.