Author Topic: St Bridget Beckermet churchyard  (Read 465 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Bridget Beckermet churchyard
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 September 23 16:19 BST (UK) »

Hello Boo

A "firkle"  :) has found this ...

Published, Carlisle Journal 22 Nov 1845

"At Sea, on the 13th of July, on board the Nile, of Whitehaven, on her passage from Liverpool to Valparaiso, Isaac Wilson, apprentice, son of Mr. John Wilson, Nursery House, near Calderbridge."

An informative Death notice!

It is informative but its also niggling at me. The newspaper says Isaac was the son of a John (rather than William) Wilson. Newspapers, then as now, are renowned for getting names wrong and I think that may be what happened in this case. Its one of the reasons I''d like a better photo of the stone.

Boo

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: St Bridget Beckermet churchyard
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 September 23 20:03 BST (UK) »
I am researching my OHs 4x G Grandparents William WILSON and his wife Mary (nee CURWEN).
I've done ok with them and their children and it all seems to be adding up.

A tree on Ancestry has a photo of a headstone in St Bridget which marks their grave but the photo is not the best and is too blurred to make out properly It seems to have been photographed looking down at it and though I can make out Nursery House and a couple of names the rest is undecipherable.

If anyone is near enough, is visiting the churchyard and is able to take a photo I'd be very grateful.

I do have a MI barebones transcript from Whitehaven Archives but as the archivist pointed out that the transcriber noted names, relationships and dates and all other wording has been omitted.

Wilson
William, of Nursry Houses             Jan 8th 1871 - 73
Mary, w                               Feb 8th 1847 - 48
Isaac, s lost at sea                  Jul 13th 1845 - 19
Ann, d                                        Jul 19th 1851 - 29
William, s                            Jul 15th 1853 - 22
Thomas, s                             Feb 1st 1866 - 23
Ann, wife of William                  Jan 18th 1875 - 32

Note that last name, Ann, was his second wife who he married post civil registration and that record tells me William's father was Andrew, a farmer.

Boo

Hi Boo

I agree, a newspaper Notice is not always 100% correct. I once found the Grandfather's name for the Bride's Father, in a newspaper notice.

How many times we see that an error is then copied by another, occurs in newspapers too.

I do hope someone is kind enough to photograph the Memorial  :)

Mark