Author Topic: Cumming of Duthil, Inverness-shire, 1700s  (Read 222 times)

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cumming of Duthil, Inverness-shire, 1700s
« on: Sunday 10 September 23 05:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have records for Cumming families in the Grantown area? Very little seems to be available. I am looking for:

1. Mary Grant and James Cumming of Easter Duthil. She died 1805, he died before 1790
2. Patrick Cumming, d. 1771, farmer at Easter Duthil, assumed to be brother of James, wife Margaret Cumming.
3. Mary Cumming, dau of Mary & James, above, married Alexander Grant who died c. 1790, farmer at Duthil (aka, Wester Duthil)
4. Gilbert Cumming, wife Ann Taylor dd. 1802, Gilbert emigrated to Albany, NY in 1803

Any Cumming leads welcome! There isn't much on this family name.

thanks!

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cumming of Duthil, Inverness-shire, 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, interesting challenge. Can I ask where your information comes from? Scotland’s People is the best resource. However they seem to have a search issue with Duthil. If you narrow down the filter, you lose any people who are found.

You should also be aware Duthil was not in Inverness-shire at the time you are referring to.

From Scotland’s People

A parish in the county of Inverness. It was a civil parish from 1870 until 1975. The parish was formed from two separate parishes: Duthill in Morayshire and Rothiemurchus in Inverness and the combined parish was placed in the county of Inverness. The boundaries of the civil parish were altered by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891.

That being said I am struggling to find the people you are referring to in the locality.

Records appear to start in 1766 so that may explain.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
The apparent absence of records from Duthil on SP arises because they are in 'Duthil and Rothiemurchus' but there is no option in the search box to select 'Duthil and Rothiemurchus'. I have drawn this to SP's attention.

Workaround: if you search the Old Parish Register baptisms using 'Cum*n*' and 'Inverness-shire' as your search parameters, sort the results by parish and go to Page 3, you will find the first of six pages of baptisms in Duthil and Rothiemurchus.

However the 'Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers' at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=876369.0 says that the Duthil registers begin in 1766 and the Rothiemurchus ones in 1774, so the information you are looking for may not exist.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
As Forfarian say’s due to the parish records you may struggle. However I presume you are aware of the memorial to Gilbert Cumming, on Find a Grave. This is linked to his wife’s stone in Duthil, it is hard to read, Duncan Cumming 2 1839, 65 merchant bridge end Coillum Rothimurchus. Etc. There is a fuller transcription on Find my Past. The Scottish Genealogy Society have been uploading transcriptions from their Monumental inscription records.
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 November 23 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I have some information on my GGrandmother’s Elsie Cumming’s family from Cromdale near Grantown but unfortunately I don’t recognise any of the people you mention from Duthil and Rothiemurchus.

I’m researching other family in the Duthil area from late 18c before they appeared to move to Skye of Curr about 5 miles away which is how I found your original post.

Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire