Author Topic: Help with Surname.  (Read 447 times)

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with Surname.
« on: Sunday 10 September 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
If i could get any assistance to establish the correct surname I will be indebted can I start with the family surname of the relation I'm connected to which is McLaughlin which in itself comes with various spellings but I have established those so I have a James McLaughlin born abt 1844 in Ireland (according to one census) he firstly marries a Catherine Tierney (1843) in Aug 1864 they have at least one child Catherine born Nov 1865. Sadly Catherine (1843) dies sometime between 1865 and 1869 (not established her death yet), James (1844) then as a widower re-marries a Julia Hamenware (1850) on the 1st of Jan 1870 it is this surname that I am trying to establish they go on to have 3 children Michael (1871) Mary A (1873) and Sarah (1877) 2 certifcates state mothers surname as Hamenware one with an added m. Sarah dies soon after birth and also her mother Julia (1850) both in 1877 Julia's mother Bridget is the informant surname now states Hemanware father John (deceased) and mother Bridget mn Heating which is actually Keating, Bridget (1830 abt) dies in dec 1880 surname now Humondwire mn Caten informant is daughter Bridget (1851) who married a Patrick Cassidy in july 1875 which gave her surname as Hammonwire or Hummonwire, Bridget (1851) dies herself in 1896 maiden name Hemmondware so what would be the correct surname to trace as i cant seem to find any of these named all above takes place in Glasgow I have tried to look further here and in Ireland with no success.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Surname.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 23 12:05 BST (UK) »
There isn't really any such thing as 'correct' spelling of names until you get into the very late 19th or early 20th century.

Use wildcards to search on SP - h*m*n*w*r* should pick up all variants, but will include some irrelevant ones. See screenshot.

Not so easy on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ as you can't be sure that the search will find all possible variants. It doesn't find Hamonwire, for a start.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Aye thanks Forarian thats how i collected the correct certificates I have now its just that if John and Bridget the earliest parents mentioned only had the two girls mentioned then their line obv has ended with the death of young bridget (1851 - 1896) what i was trying to do was to see if they actually came from Ireland which i suspect they did but as there is nothing to find prior to there marriages in Scotland was trying to widen my search but the surname is proving difficult as it is thanks any way for the heads up Forfarian as usual.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
1871 census has Julia born in Ireland c1851

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 20:21 BST (UK) »
Could this be mother and daughter on 1871 census

HAMMERWAY
BRIDGET
Female
622/2 5/ 3
SPRINGBURN
LANARK

HAMMERWAY
BRIDGET
Female
622/2 5/ 3
SPRINGBURN
LANARK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast transcribes them as Hammerman. No-one else in the household, both born Ireland. You need to take a look at the original census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 23 04:38 BST (UK) »
Well blow me down excellent Monica/Forfarian I thought I had covered every permutation for the Census as I knew they had to be there it is indeed Julia's mother and sister at Turner street in the Garngad district of Glasgow and even more confirmation is the the lodger Patrick Cassidy marries young Bridget in 1875 and the other lodger James McShane is a witness with either Bridget to Julia's marriage earlier in January 71 to my James McLaughlin the only discrepancy is that on their marriage's Julia gives fathers name as Thomas and young Bridget says father is John both deceased both farmer's.......on Julia's death mother Bridget is the informant does state John as fathers name as does young Bridget on her mothers death later in 1880 so I think I will put the mistake down to the priest/registrar on the earlier certificate. Many many thanks once again to both of you and everyone at RC......Garngad
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
With the father, John being described as a deceased farmer, it suggest that he died in Ireland.

Might be worth checking if Bridget made an application for poor relief

Online garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 September 23 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks sancti I need to sort out the times now for a visit to the Mitchell its been before covid I last visited I believe you have to book now to view the Poor Law books in advance and then your limited so I have been informed will take a run over and see for myself it is my best bet for any more info I think cheerz.
Henderson
Crawford