Author Topic: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada  (Read 672 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Many years ago I was told by a member of the White family of Hastings that an ancestor Mark Joy(e) claimed in his will to have sailed in support of the English fleet.  My reaction was 'oh yeah' thinking it another family legend.  However a recent exhibition at the Royal Naval Museum at Portsmouth showed a series of maps drawn in 1589, the year after the Armada, clearly showing smaller boats putting out to sea from ports along the English coast.  The curator was excited to tell a reporter in an interview that the maps support legends of such support - suppling gunpowder, shot and other consumables etc.  This meant that the English fleet could bang away without worries of supplies whereas the Spanish had to be mindful that the only supplies they had were what they carried.

His seems to lend credence to what Mark Joy claimed so I'd like to verify his claims.

I have looked on Ancestry and found three documents relation to Mark Joy, I think they are official document copies of his will, probate and record in presumably the Canterbury records.  Unfortunately they are all written in the English of the day and with the pretty well total lack of punctuation I can't read them.

Would anyone be willing to have a go for me?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
This one? From 1589?

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/10352:62213?tid=&pid=&queryId=190bc199d2a64679aedfd5fb54d8a805&_phsrc=DkT17&_phstart=successSource

I have had a first read, and don’t see any mention, but it is easy to miss things or jump a line while concentrating on each letter.
Although he is a Mariner, which lends some credence,
He has a son Marke, and daughters Ann & Catherine

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:54 BST (UK) »

I have looked on Ancestry and found three documents relation to Mark Joy, I think they are official document copies of his will, probate and record in presumably the Canterbury records.  Unfortunately they are all written in the English of the day and with the pretty well total lack of punctuation I can't read them.

Would anyone be willing to have a go for me?

The best idea is to post images of the documents on this Handwriting Deciphering Board.
You will need to post them in sections, as there is a limit size of 500KB per image.
(You will see many people have done this previously on this board).
That way, several people will be able to look at them, and hopefully give you a transcription of them.
mckha389 has found the item on Ancestry, but not everybody has a subscription to that site, and so would be unable to help you.
The idea is to get as many people as possible to see the images in the hope someone would be able to help.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks mckha489 for the link, for some weird reason although I have an Ancestry account it won't load it, tells me to subscribe.  :(

I've attached what I think is Mark's will.  If I'm right I'm surprised to see her appears to have been illiterate which is strange if he was a coastal trading boat owner - I think called New Dawn.

I'd be very interested to see what this document says, I'll keep the other one for a few days to save confusion.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
I've attached what I think is Mark's will.

The will you've posted was proved in 1671. The 1589 will is the one linked in reply#1, as posted by mckha489.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
Afraid I can't do it for you just now, but no doubt someone else will.
Posted in 3 parts below.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
Part 2

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
Part 3

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 September 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox.

I suspect that the will I posted is for Mark's son baptised 30 November 1582 or maybe a grandson, I'll check all Mark's descendants, I'm descended from his daughter Katheryne so I didn't check his male offspring.

The will you've kindly posted is the one I was going to post as a follow up to the one I did.

When you said it was the 1589 one is that the date of the will or its probation please?  Sorry I can't even make that out. ???