Author Topic: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada  (Read 670 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 11:31 BST (UK) »
Bookbox and Goldie61 thank you so much, that's brilliant.

The work was all done by goldie61 - there's a huge amount of transcription for you there  :)

The lady who gave me the information said that they'd found a lot of documents concerning the Joy(e) family and went onto tell me about the claim of having set sail in support of the English Fleet.  I'm wondering if my memory has misled me and the claim was in one of these documents.

It seems quite likely that she was referencing other documents. It's not the sort of information you would normally expect to find in a will.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Joy of Hastings - did he support Drake's fleet against the Spanish Armada
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 September 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
The Hastings Fishermen's Museum are checking their records for me and a lady at the Old Hastings Preservation Society has suggested the Historic Hastings book by John Mainwaring Baines which has some info on Mark Joy - luckily West Sussex library has a copy I can borrow.

If these fail to give any answers I'll contact the Sussex Family History Group and East Sussex Records Office to see if they have any Joy family documents.