Author Topic: Wedding gift lists 1930s  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding gift lists 1930s
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 24 September 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
Join the club ,My errors are monumental,such errors of spelling, really a bent fore  finger —- arthritis !

Well that is my excuse.

Been invited out ,a lady at church is organising a meal at a nearby
restaurant ,a really nice one, for the ladies who slogged away at the Jig Saw Festival, (  still do not know how much it made ) .
I have been made so welcome back, as I could not really go during my eye treatment ,but that also coincided with Covid , so a good time to stay in,but it is lovely ro be back .

Photo of Kyra in her clogs from her Daddy, my grandson. , she loves them .
Paddies when they have to come off ,like bath and bedtime.

I too have oodles of lace cloths ,” Duchess sets” too, ie a large centre mat and two small ones for on your dressing table .
Small ones for under vases etc, tea cloths ,tray cloths .
Such exquisite antique lace,certainly from the 1800’s.

I always wanted to own one of those perfume sorays, with a big squeeze thingy covered in a silken mesh.

My Dad’s birthday today ,born 1897, died 1974 .
We were in Belgium ,my husband had to make a trip to head office ,and of icourse went to my Dad’s , was shocked at how ill he was and begged him to go back to Belgium so we could look after him ,but as we were in any case getting to England and Manchester for Easter,under  a week later he did not travel back with my husband .
He died a two days later ,three days before we got there .
I got all Mum’s stuff, she had died 17 years before.

Took a couple of parcels in for a new neighbour ,he came for them later and said if my son needed any help with heavy stuff to just ask and he would gladly help ,as he too works at home .
So that is really kind.

It has been like Winter here today ,really cold.
So I am wearing my little Damart Thermal thingies,— chemises?

Well match nearly over, 32-6, for Wales.
Kitchen to bed and a hard crossword in bed or a read of “ Notes from a Small  Island “.Bill Bryson.

Night night .
Viktoria.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 25 September 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
Enjoy the book Viktoria.  I find him a very amusing author.  My mother in law had one of his books and I picked it up at random and laughed out loud immediately and bought myself a copy.  It was the Walk in the Woods one. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 25 September 23 23:28 BST (UK) »
Yes I have laughed a lot already!

Just put crockery  and  cutlery away ,a knife I use for various things is the only item left from the two identical cutlery sets we got as Wedding presents from two aunties.So no idea which set - Auntie R ‘s or Auntie E’s!

Well not much news ,hope all are well .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
I have remembered another wedding gift, a set of antimaccassers!
Those things that went on the back of arm chairs and settees so , well originally Macassar oil would not spoil the fabric.
Later Brilliantine I suppose.
Ooooh “ The Brilliantine Boys” sportsmen who used it to have very shiny hair and every hair in place !
Don’t think  Fred Truman used it, if he did it failed!  ;D

We re in for some gale force winds and torrential rain it seems tonight and tomorrow morning and I need to get my prescriptions in !

Saw some photographs which had been found in Manchester ,on TV, it was hoping they could be identified, mainly buildings, one looked like the church my husband’s family attended, the email address was so quick I did not manage to get it and the article was not on the latest news.
The church was deconsecrated and used by the University ,a quite unusual style and building methods made it rather special.
Rather Venetian.

Managed a garden tidy ,it is brown bin week so lots if thinning out  and  loppings to go ,managed to get them all in the bin.

Well a bit earlier to bed as if the promised storm Agnes is as fierce as forecast
there will be a lot of noise and all a bit worrying.

Cheerio, look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 10:46 BST (UK) »
Viktoria
I remember cricketer Denis Compton starring in the Brylcreem adverts. My father also used Brylcreem  and was always in trouble with my mother for marking the back of armchairs, so we had to have antimacassars in our house.
Brylcreem is still on sale, but now they advertise "hair styling products" of all kinds!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 12:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, Brylcreem was a brand of Brilliantine,.
When hair lacquer came out for girls, gone were the days of he running his fingers through her hair , ———he would have had to go to A&E and would probably never play the piano again !

Yuk, such a harsh sticky mess.

Well the promised rain has started ,I have just picked the Bramley apples from my little tree, the heavy winds forecast would  no doubt blow them down. So apple sauce for the freezer to do this afternoon.
Nice to have “ grown your own” for Christmas Day.

Viktoria.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Of course, in Scotland, a woman was known by her maiden name for all of her life. Miss Mary Ross (the spinster) became Mary Ross Mrs John McLeod on marriage. 
Happens far less these days. Mary Ross becomes Mary McLeod now.

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 15:33 BST (UK) »
Apparently some French Huguenot women were known by the maiden name after marrying but not come across any in my tree yet, it may have been different after they emigrated. My ancestor born 1765 was the daughter of one of the last Huguenots to come to the UK in 1752.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
It's amazing how many wedding presents seem to have been put in a drawer and never used. All of our bedsheets and pillowcases are bought at auction or antique shop. From embroidered Victorian linen to fifties English and Irish cotton still in their original wrapper.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,