Author Topic: Daniel McLaughlin  (Read 779 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McLaughlin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:15 BST (UK) »

... I found records for some of this branch of my tree on the Catholic Registers at the NLI which was a huge surprise as the family are Church of Ireland.

Just when you say that, note that Henry McLaughlin was baptised in St. Peter's RC Church, Belfast, on 1 February 1893, I have only seen a transcript and not the original register entry, but the transcript leaves no doubt that it's him, for the recorded address was 114 Servia Street.  What is slightly odd is that Rose was recorded in her married name of McLaughlin, but no father was stated.  The sponsor was an Agnes Dugan. 

I'm ultimately not sure that James and Rose and son Henry are connected, they certainly tick boxes, but that might just be a coincidence.  I'm not aware of Henry Dugan and Maria Wills having a daughter Rose, though I suppose she could be a niece.  It's frustrating not being able to find a marriage for James and Rose, James' omission in that baptismal transcript is making me wonder if there was one.   

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:28 BST (UK) »

... Re: Henry McLaughlin died 4.12.1893 @41 English Street. I checked PRONI Street Directories regarding this address and a Thomas McLaughlin resided there 1892-1900.: James and Thomas possibly brothers?

It was probably a Thomas McLaughlin and Eliza Jane Thompson at that address, such a named couple had a son Thomas there on 23 July 1895:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02208/1833966.pdf

When they got married at St. Mary's RC Church, Belfast, in 1884, Thomas' father was recorded as Charles McLoughlin:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1884/10907/5984118.pdf

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 September 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
See if you can follow this, based on the 3 year old Eliza Gastion listed as a niece of Maria Dugan in the 1901 Ireland census return for house #189 in Urney Street ...

(1) Elizabeth Gaston was born at 85 Louisa Street on 12 October 1897 to parents Robert Gaston and Sarah Taylor:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1897/02109/1802910.pdf

(2) Sarah (Taylor) Gaston died on 13 January 1899 at 91 Louisa Street:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1899/05807/4643899.pdf

(3) Robert Gastion remarried on 30 March 1902, to a Margaret Dugan of 189 Urney Street, father given as Henry Dugan:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1902/10260/5734141.pdf

(4) Fast forward to 7 May 1935, when the Belfast Telegraph carried the following death notice for a Daniel McLaughlin who died the day before (this is the same Daniel McLaughlin shanreagh identified at reply #8 and who married Linda Ellen McKeown in 1919 as I posted at reply #10...  note the  address in  the following): M'LAUGHLIN - May 6, 1935, Daniel, dearly loved husband of Linda E. McLaughlin of Ainsworth Avenue.  Funeral from 150 Urney Street on Wednesday, at 2.20 p.m., to Dundonald Cemetery.  Deeply regretted by his loving Wife and Family.

(5) Two of the occupants of grave J1 139 in Belfast City Cemetery (Glenalina Extension) are a Robert Gastion who died on 21 November 1932 at a reported age of 75 with a last place of residence stated as 150 Urney Street, and a Margaret Ann Gaston who died on 8 October 1935 at a reported age of 62 with a last place of residence stated as 150 Urney Street:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sne/

So, that all points to the 11 year old boy Daniel McLaughlin in house #189 Urney Street in 1901 being the same person who married Linda Ellen McKeown in 1919 and died in 1935.

Bravo Gaffy.......what sleuthing!.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 07:46 BST (UK) »

...what sleuthing!.

Based on your excellent spot in the first place.  :)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 16:31 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ were there any other details regarding Daniel when he became a regular soldier in the RIR?

I haven't found anything. I think perhaps he was discharged on completion of service in 1913 and his papers have not survived.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline G63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 September 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ,
Thank you so much for checking up for me. Appreciated.

Regards
Geraldine

Offline G63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
A massive thank you to everyone for their time and expertise. It is greatly appreciated.
Re #18.  The sponser mentioned may be my Gt.gt. Grandmother Agnes Dugan( daughter of Henry Dougan, various spellings, and Maria Wills)

Servia Street, English Street and Dalton Street keep popping up. I checked the 1901 and 1911 Irish census regarding Thomas McLoughlin residing at 41English Street. His  age varied from 50 in 1901 to 67 in 1911!

Thanks again
Geraldine