Author Topic: Hermann Goering's cousin?  (Read 262 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hermann Goering's cousin?
« on: Sunday 10 September 23 18:34 BST (UK) »
Marie Schuster, who owned the Haus Wylerberg in Beek, now in the Netherlands, but formerly in Germany, is described as a relative by marriage to Hermann Goering.  Their relationship is described in various ways, such as " H G's father was a cousin of Marie's aunt by marriage" or simply that Marie was H G's aunt.  We're struggling to ascertain the true nature of their relationship. can anyone help?  Marie's maiden name was Hivy.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Hermann Goering's cousin?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

She had an interesting life!

BTW, everything I can find on her shows her maiden name as Hiby, not Hivy, and it looks as though she used the surname Schuster-Hiby.

I expect you have already seen this website (beautiful photos!):

https://100jaarwylerberg.nl/de/geschichte/ursprung/

There is a lot of detail about Marie here, and according to this website:

Im Feldhospital von Metz, das in der Nähe liegt, werden Verwundete versorgt. Unter Ihnen ist auch Hermann Göring, der in dieser Zeit Pilot ist bei der Luftwaffe. Göring ist ein entferneter Verwandter von Marie: Der angeheiratete Onkel Maries ist ein Cousin von Görings Vater. Der junge Hermann Görung besucht die Familie regelmäßig in der Villa Lorry während er sich von seinen Verwundungen in Metz erholt.

In the field hospital in Metz, which is located nearby, wounded are treated. Among them is Hermann Göring, who is a pilot in the Luftwaffe at this time. Göring is a distant relative of Marie: Marie's uncle by marriage is a cousin of Göring's father. The young Hermann Göring visits the family regularly at the Villa Lorry while recovering in Metz from his wounds.

So Marie's aunt (it doesn't say whether it was the sister of Marie's father or mother) married a man who was a cousin of Göring's father. That is a pretty distant relative.   :)

Haus Wylerberg looks lovely. Another website, which I expect you have also already seen:

https://rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/kleve/kleve-kranz-fuer-marie-schuster-auf-geschaendetem-grabmal_aid-39248121

It is just so horrible that there are people who wreck graves. But at least it is being restored. Or has been: The article is from 2019.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for  this. We have actually visited Haus Wylerberg and were very interested in its history and also Marie's colourful life. You are correct, of course, about the spelling of her surname. Because of postwar boundary changes the house and Beek now lie in the Netherlands. A Dutch friend organises concerts at Haus Wylerberg.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
It must be a lovely place for concerts. Maybe I'll get there one day - it's about a good four hours by car from where I live. And I love the Netherlands, anyway - a visit is overdue.  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 11:10 BST (UK) »
We visit Kleve NRW regularly and take the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland.  As Kleve is so near the Dutch border we often stop on the way to see friends in Nijmegen.  One of them actually lives in Beek.

From what I have heard and read Marie was no friend of the Nazis and helped many Jewish refugees to escape on their flight from Germany.  She would give them money and send them over the border to Holland (then free) with the help of her gamekeeper.  She collected modern Expressionist art, the sort of "degenerate art" (entartete Kunst) that was frowned on by Hitler, and when HG or other Nazis visited her house she would hide the paintings and put up family photos, including of course pictures of HG.  When she returned to the house after the war it had been plundered and the paintings had disappeared and have never been found, though another later artist reconstructed them from old black and white photos, so they hang again on the walls.

Other wartime stories tell that during Operation Market Garden when Canadian soldiers entered the house they came in through the windows and she sarcastically asked them whether it was usual to enter a house through the windows in their country.  She heavily disapproved of the artist Joseph Beuys, who always wore a Homburg hat, supposedly to cover wartime injuries to his head, as she found this socially unacceptable.

You should visit Huis Wylerberg, Karen, though only the ground floor can now be viewed, as the upper floor is taken up by various nature conservation organisations.  It's only open on Wednesdays and Sundays in the spring and summer. You have to park in the village and walk up the hill and volunteer guides will take you round.  It now belongs to the Dutch government, having been sold to them by Marie's daughter.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
This sounds like a story I could spend a lot of time on! Thanks very much for the infos.

I had read that she helped a large number of Jews, but not that she was so cunning with her wall decorations.  ;D She must have been a real character.

We live a few hours almost due east of Beek. We really should pay a visit sometime. I had read about the nature-conservation organisations - and their hard work saving badgers and field hamsters, amongst other animals.

Sounds great!