Author Topic: public tree on ancestry  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
public tree on ancestry
« on: Sunday 10 September 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
I've been given a link to a public family tree on Ancestry.  To do anything on Ancestry seems to involve signing up or in and even their offer of a free trial involves giving too much info. Does anyone know how to access this tree without all the kerfuffle?  ancestry. kn6186353.
grateful for any help
cheers, Ian
PS. if it works I will reveal details of the most amazing co-incidence ever ...
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: public tree on ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:08 BST (UK) »
Can you get to a Library, Ian?

If so, they usually give access to Ancestry.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, I use my local library often but haven't used their computers for many years.
I will try but was hoping for a quick and easy Hack ... any White Hat Hackers in Rootschat?
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:24 BST (UK) »
Their blurb say you can create a Free Guest account.

No idea what that entails

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:32 BST (UK) »
Kevin Garrad uses the Library edition so maybe you could ask him:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=131318
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
I'm going uptown tomorrow anyway so I'll pop in to the library.  Thanks Gadget.
My daughter's DNA test was more useful than me doing it as we now have many of my wife's relatives and the strangest thing is that her and her sisters were all given middle names but never knew why or who they were named after.
However, a girl who came up on the Relative's List had the same surname as my wife's middle name so we messaged her and on her profile was listed relatives places and surnames.
Although she is in Philadelphia one of her names was from Switzerland.
It is looking verra likely that her relative was a Swiss Guy we knew in the late 1950s and 1960s when he was hitch-hiking around Scotland.
Waiting for proof ... it may be on the Ancestry tree ...
Watch this space
cheers, Ian

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
I tried my local Library's computers today to access Ancestry's Public Family Tree only to find Ancestry don't allow anyone to View the Trees without a Subscription.  There must be a way ... I used Wikitree's Connection Finder app and saw the connection through to a Swiss Emigre to Philadelphia.
cheers, Ian

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
I might be missing something but if it's a public tree (rather than a private one) then anyone can view it on your behalf without an invitation.  I would assume. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 20:56 BST (UK) »
I might be missing something but if it's a public tree (rather than a private one) then anyone can view it on your behalf without an invitation.  I would assume.

Not so, their blurb basically states that it is for the benefit Subscribers.

Ancestry are in the business to make a profit after all.

Why should they allow anyone free unlimited access to their subscribers accounts, a certain amount of access as a Lost Leader, yes.