Author Topic: public tree on ancestry  (Read 1597 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: public tree on ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 December 23 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I tried my local Library's computers today to access Ancestry's Public Family Tree only to find Ancestry don't allow anyone to View the Trees without a Subscription.  There must be a way ... I used Wikitree's Connection Finder app and saw the connection through to a Swiss Emigre to Philadelphia.
cheers, Ian

Of course there is a way. You (OP) stated it yourself in your first post! Sign up for a free account on Ancestry. Which doesn't have to give away ANY information at all about you. You can sign up as Bugs Bunny or Ron Ribbentrop, whatever. Just use a different email than your real one.

IIRC Ancestry Library edition gives access to their archival material, but not family trees.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 December 23 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not to have spotted this earlier. Prior to taking out an Ancestry sub. I used the library version regularly and discovered that one of the things it won’t allow you to do is to view public trees. You either need to take out a subscription or find somebody who has one. A free trial is the way to go if cost is an issue but you’ll have to tell them who you are and probably give them your bank details. After all, their main intention is to make money!

Personally, I tend to find other people’s trees disappointing, error prone and their owners unwilling to correspond about them.

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 December 23 18:24 GMT (UK) »
... Irvine Library's Family History Centre has never heard of AncestryLibraryEdition and they charge £7 per hour to assist members of the public.   The assistant phoned her colleague at Kilmarnock Library Family History Centre and she had never heard of AncestryLibraryEdition either. 
To my mind, you might think that a Revelation of Special Access to Ancestry for Libraries would have been of great interest, but the member of the public who was being 'helped' ( @ £7. per hour) showed great interest, the assistant ... ZILCH.
I've emailed my distant cousin and requested she email me with her *.ged file as an attachment.
Beyond that I have no interest in collecting others' family trees.   Distant cousins the Chapman family have been pioneers in Family Research since long before the Internet and have amassed thousands of ancestors, some of them in countries I have never heard of, and MyHeritage sends me 'Why don't you send a personal birthday message to this cousin' even though they are dead.
I have set a deadline to my Quest and it is when my subscription to FindMyPast expires ... then I'm going Magnet-Fishing or Beach-combing and when it is raining it'll be Snooker.
cheers, Ian

That Ian is a very wise sentiment.

I have solved the brickwalls that have bothered me.

For me 2024 is the year of consolidation, writing the family stories, making the videos and creating the digital archive that each Cousin can have.

Then I’m done with my own Genealogy research.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 December 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
My principal aim in FH is to trace the direct line, I sometimes go sideways but often as a way to try to get back further on the direct line. Or I try to find out more info about the ancestors I have traced, such as any more electoral rolls, school records etc, newspaper records.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain