Author Topic: West Yorkshire Regiment before the Boer War  (Read 216 times)

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
West Yorkshire Regiment before the Boer War
« on: Monday 11 September 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, In 2012 I requested help with a Tom West in the West Yorkshire Regiment and I received a lot of help in understanding his WW1 Attestation Paper.
I have a lot of information on Tom West, born in 1872, in Skipton, Yorkshire. I know from his WW1 Attestation Paper that he served in the Boer War and that he had served previously to that in the 1st and 2nd West Riding Regiment for 5 1/2 years and the 2nd West Yorkshire Regiment for 4 1/2 years. It is this that I would like help with if possible.
I can find Tom West on the 1881 census and then he disappears until 1899 when he marries and has in son in Boroughbridge, Yorkshire. I can't find him on the 1891 census. I have found other Tom West's but on tracing these men forwards onto the 1901 census I can see that they are not my Tom West. 

Information on Tom West. Born 1872, Skipton. Boer War 1st Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment No. 6940, invalided out.
WW1 West Yorkshire Regiment No.1480, invalided out and rejoined within a few months the R.C.C. Royal Engineers No.220861 and was again invalided out.
If he was in  the 1st West Riding Regiment in 1891 would he appear on a census? Or was the Regiment abroad at this point, and not on a census, if so, would there be anywhere that I can look?
Thank you,
Louise

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: West Yorkshire Regiment before the Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
In April 1891 1st West Riding were in Yorkshire, based at Halifax. 2nd West Riding were in West Indies.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 23 17:12 BST (UK) »
Specifically, the 1st Bn were in York, probably in Fulford Barracks. Their Depot was in Halifax. They had returned from Aden in 1889.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 23 17:30 BST (UK) »

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 18:29 BST (UK) »
This looks like him. RG12/3895/131 page 36

Offline Coxon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for tracking him down. I spent 2 hours this morning at the library trying to find him in 1891 and you have done it in half the time. I live in York. I was hoping he was somewhere a little more exotic!! I will go to the library in the morning armed with the new information. Thank you again.
Louise