Author Topic: Hiby family of northern Germany  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hiby family of northern Germany
« on: Monday 11 September 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family  of Wilhelm Hiby snr, whose children were Wilhelm jnr, Marie Louise and Lina. Looking online I have found birth years given for these three as 1835, 1842 and 1867, which doesn't seem right.  In a photograph of the three with their mother they all look to be under 10 years old and one little girl is a baby.  Confusingly I have found their mother's name given as Julie Stein,  but a Julie Stein is also shown to have married Wilhelm jnr in 1866 in Düsseldorf.  These are Ancestry and Family Search entries, so don't know how reliable they are. The family seems to have come from the Ruhr area of farming stock, though they later became rather wealthy, mainly through Lina's marriage to Carlos Otto in 1866. 
Can anyone with access to the appropriate records help. please?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Hiby family of northern Germany
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

According to this website:
https://www.deutsche-biographie.de/sfz74249.html#ndbcontent_sfz70148
which is mainly about Frederico/Friedrich Otto, Lina was born in 1842 and died in 1887. Fred & Lina married in 1866. (His full name was apparently Friedrich (actually Frederico) Victor Carl(os) Otto.)

Her father was Wilhelm Hiby (1810-88) and her mother was Caroline Unterste Pöting (1810–72).

I'll have another look tomorrow. Off to bed now - we had 33 degrees today and I am worn out!  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:20 BST (UK) »
Tiddly bit more:  ;D

WIlhelm Hiby senior's (farm)house:

https://www.medienwerkstatt-online.de/lws_wissen/vorlagen/showcard.php?id=23221

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
I really must go to bed.  ::)

This website:
https://www.sprockhoevel.de/stadt-tourismus/lokale-agenda-21/projekte-themen/agenda-pfad-stationen-11-15
(see No. 14)
states that Wilhelm Hiby (1810 – 1888) had a daughter-in-law named Julie, who had the house re-styled after Wilhelm's death.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 September 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
I realise this is not official BMD stuff, but it might help untangle the family a bit.  :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful, Karen.  We are getting to grips with the two generations of Wilhelm Hiby, father and son with the same name.  Now think Wilhelm junior 1835-1887 was the father of Marie Schuster-Hiby.  Unfortunately there is a rogue Wilhelm from the same area and born around the same time as Wilhelm junior, but with different parents!  A cousin, maybe?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 07:54 BST (UK) »
for the record - geneanet.org has
Lina Hiby to Friedrich Victor Carlos Otto as the marriage in Sprockhoevel, Westfalen ,Germany
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 09:40 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful, Karen.  We are getting to grips with the two generations of Wilhelm Hiby, father and son with the same name.  Now think Wilhelm junior 1835-1887 was the father of Marie Schuster-Hiby.  Unfortunately there is a rogue Wilhelm from the same area and born around the same time as Wilhelm junior, but with different parents!  A cousin, maybe?

Yes, I found the "other" Wilhelm, too!  ;D

This Anc*stry page shows Wilhelm Jr. married to Julie Stein.
https://www.ancestry.com.au/genealogy/records/marie-luise-hiby-24-1xkr46l
Wilhelm Jr. apparently died in in 1887.
Did Wilhelm Jr. really die before his father? (Not impossible.)
The website shows Marie-Luise Hiby, born 1867, as their daughter.

This website:
https://100jaarwylerberg.nl/de/geschichte/ursprung/
(which I would like to think should be well-informed)
says that Marie's father died in 1888, which would be Wilhelm Senior.
In 1890 she married Heinrich Schuster.
In 1893 her only daughter, Alice, was born.

I am beginning to think that the Anc*stry info is perhaps muddling up the marriages and kids.

I'll see if I can have another look later.

Musings:
None of the Dutch websites refer to her as Marie-Luise, just Marie.
I am wondering if Wilhelm Jr. & Julie (also) had a daughter named Marie-Luise.
If Marie was indeed the daughter of Wilhelm Sr., then Wilhelm Jr. was (logically) her brother. I haven't found anything on this yet.

P.S. I have just edited this text. I was getting confused with the Anc*stry stuff and had written a load of twaddle. ::)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
If this Geneanet entry is correct, the eldest son was always a Wilhelm, and Wilhelm Jr. & Julie named their son Wilhelm:

https://gw.geneanet.org/kraeuter2?lang=en&n=hiby&oc=0&p=wilhelm

Perhaps it might be worth contacting the tree owner?