Author Topic: Hiby family of northern Germany  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hiby family of northern Germany
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 September 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
TreeSpirit

How interesting that Mathilda was living in Dr C Otto Straße when she died, a street named after her famous brother-in-law Dr. Carlos Otto!  It looks like her sister-in-law Frau Otto was the informant.

Thank you so much for these great images.  I had the year of Wilhelm's birth down as 1810, and the entry says about 1811. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 September 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
I had the year of Wilhelm's birth down as 1810, and the entry says about 1811.
Possibile baptism (but I have no idea how to confirm that he is the right guy):
a Wilhelm Hiby born 31 Mar 1810 and christened 8 Apr 1810 in Schwelm. Parents are Heinrich Peter Hiby and Maria Cathrina Bosselmann.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 September 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
TreeSpirit
One last request.  You sent me a birth/Baptism entry for Martha Hiby 20 Feb 1869.  I think this child must have died young, as she is not mentioned in any books I have read and also not mentioned in her mother's will.  Are you able to find a death entry for her, please?

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 September 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
I sent you the birth record

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 September 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, indeed you did Dave and it came as a surprise to me, as it was the first time I had seen her mentioned.  I was just curious to see whether she had died young, since she was not mentioned in her mother's will where the other 3 children were. 

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 September 23 16:59 BST (UK) »
she died at the age of 8 months

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this, Dave.  That explains the situation clearly and supports my suspicions. 
I do appreciate your efforts.

And thank you, TreeSpirit and Karen, for your assistance in this search. 

We'll be visiting the Hiby-Werth memorial on our next visit to Kleve, that's for sure.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:29 BST (UK) »
cause of death was „Brechruhr”
old name for "Cholera”

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 12:25 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, Dave.  I have come across the term "Ruhr" for dysentery, but only knew "Cholera" as in the English for cholera.  "Brech" from "erbrechen", maybe, as in to vomit.  German scientific terms are very descriptive and don't seem to be based on Latin or Greek in the same way that they are in some other languages.  (I used to earn pocket money at University teaching scientific German to science students.)