Author Topic: Hiby family of northern Germany  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Hiby family of northern Germany
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 12:47 BST (UK) »
For anyone following this thread who might be interested  ;D, here is a photo of Wilhelm Hiby Sen. & his wife Caroline Unterste Pöting:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01snj/
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
Karen, you are a fount of information!  I love his wife Caroline's surname - Unterste Pöting.  On marriage to her Wilhelm became owner of her (late?) father's farm and estate of that name. 

Wilhelm Hiby jnr, his son, married Julie Stein from Düsseldorf. Their daughter was Marie Louise.  We are trying to work out just why the rather grand Hiby-Werth memorial was erected in Kleve. https://www.lokalkompass.de/kleve/c-kultur/die-grabanlage-hiby-werth-wird-wieder-hergerichtet_a1254561   We do know that Julie and Marie moved to Kleve after the death of Wilhelm jnr (1887, we think), but Julie's family came from Düsseldorf and the Hibys from the Ruhr, so where's the connection?

Back to Marie Hiby Schuster.  There are frequent mentions of Hermann Goering in her story, described as a distant cousin, so we've been trying to be more exact about the relationship.  It looks as though Marie's mother Julie Stein had a sister called Charlotte who married a Matthias Heinrich Goering in 1851 in Düsseldorf.   Hermann Goering's father is said to be Heinrich Ernst Goering 1839-1913.  Apparently Hermann rather fancied Marie's daughter Alice. Little did he know that Alice was gay!  But Alice's is yet another interesting story in this epic.

garstonite
I believe that Lina Hiby, wife of Carlos Otto, was a sister of Wilhelm jnr.   Wilhelm jnr was a fellow student of Carlos Otto in Freiburg.  Otto's "invention" of coke as a fuel was a major factor in the development of the industrial area of the Ruhr and he became quite famous.  Both Wilhelm jnr and Wilhelm snr became partners in Otto's company and they became very wealthy through this and other mining ventures. Otto was another interesting character.  He was born in Mexico and his marriage to Lina was a love match. (There are love letters which show this.) He never recovered from Lina's death at the birth of their second child and went into a decline from which he never recovered.  Oh, these fascinating stories!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
It has all made fascinating reading!  :)

Do you now have anything to show that Wilhelm Jr. was Marie Schuster-Hiby's father? The birth & death dates would certainly fit better for Junior, as regards fathering Marie. (Not that older men can't make babies, but..!  ;D)

The info on Julie and Charlotte fits in nicely with one of the websites I found yesterday. I also read about Alice and her female partner (who were together for many, many years) - that is indeed another fascinating story!

I will try and find a website I was reading yesterday (one of many...) which said that the family memorial was originally going to be in/near Düsseldorf, but Julie changed her mind.

The memorial in Kleve is very grand and apparently quite famous. It seems it has now been restored, after thieves stole 10 of the bronze plates a few years ago. It cost around €40,000 to restore everything.

I also read that Marie and Wilhelm were originally buried elsewhere (I must try and find the relevant websites again!) but then dug up and re-buried at the family memorial site. Also rather intriguing.

Have to go out with woofer now, then get dinner, etc. I'll see if I have time later to try and find those websites again.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 17:34 BST (UK) »
I've just been reading a book about the Haus Bellevue in Kleve, which was purchased by Julie after Willhelm jr. died.  She must have been very wealthy, as she set about buying property all over the area, including the Wylerberg and attached properties.  Her son Wilhelm ( I shall call him Wilhelm 111) was at school in Kleve and she had seen the empty Belle Vue, which she set about modernising and decorating extravagantly.  Parts of Kleve were attached to this house.  After Julie's death Wilhelm 111 inherited Belle Vue, Marie inherited the Wylerberg and the younger son Walter received other large properties.  Wilhelm 111's daughter Erika married and she and her husband and 3 children lived there with Wilhelm jnr's mother. After her marriage  Erika became Werth-Hiby, so the memorial in Kleve is always referred to as the Werth-Hiby memorial, as in the link I sent earlier.  Willhelm 111 named his son Wilhelm, of course, and I dare say the custom went on, but Erika decided to call her son Jan Willem!.  Haus Bellevue was destroyed in WW2, as was much of Kleve.

I'm having trouble finding the births/christenings of Marie, Wilhelm and Walter Hiby, but several books give Marie's birth year as 1867, a year after her parent's marriage.  They were evangelisch-lutherisch.   

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
I read that Julie stood on the terrace at Bellevue and said "I want to buy everything that the eye can see". And she did just about that. She must have been immensely wealthy.

You wondered about why the family grave is in Kleve, and not Düsseldorf. It seems Julie turned the Kleve area into a sort of mini empire - I assume she wanted a grand memorial there. (The grave is unter Denkmalschutz, so listed/protected, by the way.)

I still can't find the website that stated that Marie and hubby Wilhelm were re-buried there.

Altendorf (Marie's birthplace) is part of Essen, as I am sure you already know. Essen, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, Dortmund, etc. are all quasi a stone's throw from one another in the Ruhrgebiet.
Kleve is less than a hundred km away, so not far, if your dream residence is there.  :)

As far as e.g. birth records go, we need davecapps to read this thread - he is brilliant at that kind of stuff.  ;D

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
I´m willing to have a look but i need more input:

1 Where did you get your info from
2 What FACTS have you got
3 What documents do you have to prove your info
4 what documents are you looking for
5 a screenshot of your tree

just trying to avoid doing things twice

Dave

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 12:01 BST (UK) »
I think that the main problem is that only death registers (1874-1938) for Rheinland seem to be online while an 1867 birth/baptism register for Altendorf for Marie-Luise HIby is required e.g.

1906 Kleve death for Marie’s probable mother Julie Stein:
https://www.landesarchiv-nrw.de/data02/Abt_Rheinland/PA_3103/~152/15202/R_PA_3103_15202_0314.jpg

1887 Düsseldorf death for Marie’s probable father Wilhelm Hiby
https://www.landesarchiv-nrw.de/data02/Abt_Rheinland/PA_3103/~045/04562/R_PA_3103_04562_0240.jpg

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
Dave
I am working on it and will get back to you asap.  Thanks for your interest.

TreeSpirit
This confirms some of what we thought we knew.  It is very useful to have some original documentation.  Have to admit I was struggling a bit with the old writing, even though I speak German. Thank you for this.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 23 10:49 BST (UK) »
Dave - sorry this is so long.  If you can help I will be most grateful.

First of all I should say that this is not my family, therefore I don’t have a tree as such, though I have tried to put a partial one together.  We first became interested in Marie Schuster-Hiby when we visited her house, Haus Wylerberg.  Since we know the area around the Dutch/German border quite well, we wanted to know more.  We got to know Jeroen van Zuylen, an academic from Nijmegen, who has connections with the present-day house and wrote a book about it. We learnt a lot about Marie from his book, but this still didn’t tell us all we wanted to know about the Hibys and why their family memorial is in Kleve.  My husband is currently writing a book about Kleve and wanted to know more.

Another book, Die Bellevue, Perle des 18. Jahrhunderts in Kleve, describes the history of the house in Kleve which became the Hiby family home in the late 1880s.  This book gives some details of the family’s history and goes a long way towards explaining how and why the Hibys settled in Kleve. In both these books we found photos of Marie and her family.

I have scoured the Family Search and Ancestry websites for information about the Hiby family, births, marriages, deaths, recording those which say they are from reputable sources, such as church registers.  I have also looked at family trees for clues rather than facts and have noted information which seems to agree in each of them, but am aware that they may also contain some inaccuracies, depending on the skills of the researchers.  There are several websites referring to various members of the family and their places of residence.

I start with Wilhelm Hiby 1810-1888, born in Sprockhövel.  I will call him William 1, since the family always called the oldest boy Wilhelm.  Wilhelm 1 married Caroline Unterste Pöting, who brought property to the marriage, the start to Wilhelm 1’s rise to wealth.  He also owned mines. They had at least 2 children, among them two that interested me - Lina 1842-1887 and Wilhelm 11 1835-1887. Lina married Wilhelm 11’s university friend Carlos Otto, https://www.pd-refractories.com/files/Dokumente/Aktuelles_Flyer_Dr-C-Otto_181120.pdf pioneer of coking technology.  A partnership and shares in Dr Carlos Otto’s  business enterprise brought wealth to both Wilhelm 1 and 11.

Wilhelm 11 married Julie Stein 1841-1906, born Düsseldorf, an orphaned but wealthy woman and daughter of Johann Peter Stein 1783-1842 and Gertrud Schriever 1799-1842. They had 3 children – Marie 2 Sept 1867 – 14 May 1949, Wilhelm 111  1870 - 1929, Walter ……….  I have been searching for their births or christenings without success, I’m afraid…. Have also tried the registers of Lutheran BMDs, but there are numerous websites with bits of information about the Hiby family, and some of the dates for family members differ. Julie’s sister Charlotte married Mathias Heinrich Goering, hence the distant family relationship frequently referred to between Marie Schuster and Hermann Goering, who is named variously as a distant cousin or descriptions such as a cousin of Marie’s mother’s aunt, etc. , a relationship that I am still trying to clarify.

Marie Hiby married Heinrich Schuster in 1890 and had daughter Alice,  Wilhelm 111 married Cornelia Korn.  Their children were Wilhelm  1V, Erika and Hans.  Wilhelm Werner 1V b 1907, Erika b 1909 and Hans b 1913.
Erika married Hans Joachim Werth and had children Wolf, Peter and Jan Willem.  The grand family memorial in Kleve is known as the Hiby-Werth memorial.  Peter Werth seems to be referred to as the family member responsible for maintenance of the memorial and the keeper of the family history from articles I have read.

References
Die Bellevue.  Perle des 18 Jahrhunderts in Kleve.  Ursula Geisselbecht-Capecki
Haus Wylerberg, ein Grenzfall/Huis  Wylerberg, een grensgeval    Jeroen van Zuylen
Marriage entry for Lina Hiby and Carlos Otto showing  that her parents were Wilhelm 1 and Carolina Unterste Pöting*
Death entry for Willhelm Hiby 11, showing his parents were Wilhelm 1 and Carolina Unterste Pöting*
Death entry for Julie Hiby nee Stein, showing her parents as Johann Stein and Gertrud Schriever*
Entries on Family search showing birth of Julie Hiby nee Stein to Johann Peter Stein and Gertrud Schriever
Online references including some family trees, though they do not always agree in dates, however those I have given above appear to be substantiated..
•   Register entry viewed

Basically I am looking for confirmation of the births/christenings of siblings Marie Schuster-Hiby, Wilhelm 111 and Walter Hiby, children of Wihelm Hiby 11 and Julie nee Stein.