Author Topic: Six Wakefield Deaths in Liverpool  (Read 177 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Six Wakefield Deaths in Liverpool
« on: Monday 11 September 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
sometime ago I found some records for my Wakefield ancestors (most likely with the help of rootschat).

I have recorded everything but somehow not fully taken in the dates.

Looking at them now I can see that Catherine Wakefield nee Briscoe (wife of John Wakefield, Watch Case Maker 1747-1791) died within a short space of 3 of her daughter:

1782, 30th August
Peggy Wakefield died aged 4 years and living at the time at Vernon Street, Liverpool. Peggy was buried on 1st September; her father is listed as a Watch Case Maker.

1782 Burial Record
19 Sep 1782 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Catherine Wakefield - Wife of John Wakefield
Died: 17 Sep 1782
Abode: Vernon Street
Researchers Note; Nancy, Peggy, Charlotte and their mother Catherine all died within 5 weeks of each other.

1782, 1st October
Nancy Wakefield died aged 6 and was buried the following day at St Nicholas’ Church.

1782, 1st October
Charlotte Wakefield died aged just 5 months, on the same day as her elder sister Nancy and within a month of her other sister Peggy. Her address is again recorded as Vernon Street and she was buried at St Nicholas’ Church with her siblings.

Two years later, Catherine's mother-in-law Mary died on the same day as Catherine & John's son Robert:

1784, 9th January
John’s mother Mary Wakefield died aged 64, and was buried at St Nicholas, Liverpool.

1784, 9th January
John & Catherine’s son Robert Wakefield died whilst living at St Paul’s Square. He was buried the following day at St Nicholas’, Liverpool. Robert died on the same day as his grandmother, his age is not recorded.

I am aware this could be coincidence and that death records were not around at the time so is there any other way of finding if there is a link to the deaths?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Luke

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Six Wakefield Deaths in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 September 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
You presumably want to know what they all died from?  Poor housing & sanitation - hunger - children died from de-hydration caused by diarrhoea & vomiting etc etc

In the absence of actual documentation it's speculation but the infant mortality rate in those days was sky high
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 07:32 BST (UK) »
For the record - Vernon Street was quite an affluent area then - and still is -

did you notice when Robert died they had moved address ??
Burial: 10 Jan 1784 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Robert Wakefield - Son of John Wakefield & Catherine
    Died: 9 Jan 1784
    Abode: St Paul's Square
also - this is sad - DID YOU KNOW THAT JOHN DIED IN IRELAND - SO THIS RECORD STATES
Burial: 18 Dec 1792 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Catharine Wakefield, Orphan - Daughter of John Wakefield, deceased & Catharine, Widow, deceased
    Died: 16 Dec 1792
    Abode: Ormond street
    Notes: [Father: died in Ireland]

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

I had wondered if the deaths were mentioned in any papers or if there had been an outbreak of TB or something in the area that may have been recorded at the time.

Garsonite,
yes it seems like the family had very little luck despite what I expect was a very good job. I wonder if he was visiting family or trying to drum up some extra work at the time. He is the only one not buried at St Nicholas' that I am aware of.

Thank you both for your help,
Luke