Author Topic: My illegitimate great grandmother: Rachel Brown b 1877 @AbbeyTown  (Read 887 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My illegitimate great grandmother: Rachel Brown b 1877 @AbbeyTown
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
I researched a family a few months back for a friend whose great grandmother was illegitimate. My friend's granny aged 95 knew nothing about her father other than he was possibly a cousin, with the birth causing a rift in the family. She knew little about her mother either, though she was brought up by an aunt. The GRO entry had the mother's maiden name as '-' but i suggested ordering the certificate just in case it contained anything useful. And it did! It actually named the father and his occupation, but it was all crossed out. And sure enough, they were first cousins, the mother having been living with her aunt and family (including the father) in the 1901 census a few months earlier. I can only surmise that the mother - who was 29 when her daughter was born - was asked about the father and gave the details, with the registrar assuming (given her age) that she was married so entered the details on the certificate before realising the situation. A rare occurrence i'm sure.

It just shows the importance of being extremely thorough and not making assumptions. What I would give for a slice of that luck now though. Thank you.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 22:34 BST (UK) »

I also intend to go through the 1871 and 1881 census returns for Holme Cultram and list all men between 60 and 65 as my suspects.

Just out of interest, if Rachel was 47/48 when Rachel Jnr was born in 1877, why do you think the candidates for her father would be between 60 and 65 and not a younger man?  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 September 23 07:57 BST (UK) »

I also intend to go through the 1871 and 1881 census returns for Holme Cultram and list all men between 60 and 65 as my suspects.

Just out of interest, if Rachel was 47/48 when Rachel Jnr was born in 1877, why do you think the candidates for her father would be between 60 and 65 and not a younger man?  :)

Good morning,

It was a typo. I meant to put between 20 and 65 😂
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
Huge thanks for the help thus far. A small update.

I have contacted Carlisle records office who confirmed they have bastardy records for the Wigton area including Holme Abbey/Holme Cultram/Abbeytown (is it really the same place but has three different names?) but only for 1844 to 1856 so absolutely no use to me in this case.

I have purchased Hannah Brown's birth certificate and it confirmed what I thought: no father listed. I did glean her exact date and place of birth as 3rd April 1873 at Holme Abbey. Mum was Rachel Brown nee Brough a charwoman.

I am very keen to try to fathom what happened to my Hannah Brown. If indeed the Annie Brown aged 18 listed as a servant on the 1891 census in Plumpton, Hesket in the Forest, Cumberland is, in fact, my Hannah Brown as I suspect then I should surely either find a marriage or death before 1901 or an entry in the 1901 census. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can solve that one? If Hannah has any living descendants it may be useful to me to seek DNA tests but I can only do that if I can fathom what happened to her.

Finally, I noticed something I find rather odd. Rachel Brown nee Brough (the mother, my great great grandmother) died 19th November 1903. Probate/administration was granted for her at Carlisle 29 years later on 9th March1932!! to Rachel Brown (her daughter, my great grandmother). Can anyone suggest why such a delay? Apparently it was an administration not a will. I have often obtained wills and appreciate how useful they can be but is there any further information or document I can apply for other than being stuck with the extremely basic index information from the Probate Calendar on Ancestry showing the estate value of £145, 18s 2d?

As ever, any information, suggestions, discussion or advice is very warmly appreciated.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 20:36 BST (UK) »
Did anything significant happen in the family in 1932, such as a death. It might have been that which triggered the need to sort Rachel snr's affairs properly, for example some property they thought had been passed to another person who then died in 1932 and they found this other person didn't legally own it, it was still in Rachel's estate.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel,

I am not seeing anything particularly significant in 1932 but I think your suggestion stacks up. One problem is that I lose track of three of Rachel (daughter) Brown's half siblings: John, Jane and Hannah before 1932, It could be that they were living in mum Rachel's house then died. Not sure if I can find anything else other than what is listed in the probate calendar like I could if it was a Will and not an administration.

Your message has prompted me to think about the 1921 census. It also reminded me just how difficult it must be for people with even more Smith or Brown surnames in their trees.

Thanks again.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 October 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have made a little more progress in understanding Rachel Brough. I received her death certificate yesterday. She died of gangrene in her leg which is sad but interesting. Two further really useful pieces of information appeared though.

Firstly, my suspicions about her husband John’s death are now confirmed as she is listed on her death certificate as the widow of John Brown ‘a steel yard labourer’. John had been a fish curer on the 7th April 1861 census.  I had speculated that when Rachel’s brothers fish business went bust (as reported in newspapers) that my John Brown went to work in the railway steel yard where he met his untimely end on 5th August 1861 as reported quite widely in the newspapers at the time. All I had about the accident though was the name John Brown (fitted). His age 33 (exact) and that he was married (he was). I couldn’t find any other John Brown in the area who fitted. Plus, I knew my John had died before another son was born to Rachel in 1863 and noted that Rachel was listed as a widow in future census returns. I think I can now move the idea that the John Brown killed in the accident was my John Brown from speculation and into fact. That tallies perfectly with what I believed but couldn’t quite prove until now. Very sad but my very existence today depended on that accident. If John had not been killed that day a lot of my relatives would not be here today. Not a nice way to think for sure.

Secondly, John Brown Rachel’s eldest son, and Rachel’s half brother, registered the death in 1903 and was himself resident in Holme Abbey at the time. I had not, hitherto, been able to find him beyond in 1891 census.

I got so much out of the purchase of that certificate. Just goes to show how it can pay to be thorough.