Author Topic: Hugh Hughes of Anglesey  (Read 860 times)

Offline jalrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Hughes of Anglesey
« on: Monday 11 September 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
I have Hugh Hughes born in Anglesey in 1803 to Hugh and Margaret Hughes.   In 1830 he was caught stealing 2 horses and sent to Flint for sentence, and ultimately transported to Australia.   Does anyone know anything of his family in Anglesey please?  One horse belonged to a William Prytherch of Ty-mawr and the other to a Mr H.Hughes of Bodgnolwyn (hopefully not his father).  thank you

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Hughes of Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 23 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if this will help but the web site Convict records of Australia has Hugh Hughes sentenced at Flint Great Sessions, to 14 years, travelling on 22 July 1830  on the ship Burrell with 191 other convicts arriving at New South Wales on 31 Dec 1830. His occupation shown as Farm Labourer.

The entry was amended by a Sherilynn White in 2013 to say he died 14 Nov 1882, There seems to be a community page and if you were to consider registering maybe she might know more? They have a Facebook Page to get in touch with other members.

Trying to find his family in Anglesey could prove rather difficult on the information you currently have.

Alan

Offline jalrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan, appreciate the response.  I do have plenty of info on him in Australia, was just hoping there might have been something on his parents.   I can see a lot of people have checked my post, so I concede I have hit a brick wall.  Not to worry.  :)   

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 23 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The difficulty is that Hughes is such a common surname.

You could try joining Gwynedd Family History Society who have various publications (including births) available to purchase for most parts of Anglesey but there will be numerous options unless you can tie him down to a specific part of the island.

Also it is possible using Patronymics (as they did in those days) the fathers surname may not have been Hughes - your Hugh could simply be "Hughes" meaning son of Hugh.

Does the date of death tie in as 1882 - did Hugh get married - do any of his records give any clue?

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 23 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just been looking at Free Reg and there are at least 6 marriages between 1790 and 1805 involving a Hugh Hughes and a Margaret in Anglesey during that period.

Do you know if Hugh and Margaret had other children which perhaps we could find on the census records post 1841?

Alan

Offline graf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 23 13:03 BST (UK) »
The Crime and Punishment database at the National Library
has information about Hugh Hughes of Llangefni, age 33,
apprehended at St Asaph, accused of two seperate horse
thefts from William Prytherch and Hugh Humphreys, both of Llantrisant
in Anglesey. He was sentenced to death.

https://crimeandpunishment.library.wales/sf_results.php?name=Hughes&co=Anglesey&parish=All&status=&off_co=All&off_cat=Any&from=1830&to=1830&prosecutor=&freetext=&punish=

Online Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 23 13:28 BST (UK) »
The report of the trial in the Chester Chronicle on 8 April 1830 includes a few details which might help, though a couple of the dates must be errors:

“HORSE STEALING. – Hugh Hughes, (33) was indicted for stealing a mare, the property of William Prytherick, on the night of the 28th of Sept. out of his stable at Ty-mawr, Llantresaint, Anglesea.
John Owen, examined by Mr. CORBETT. – I was servant to the prosecutor on the 29th Jan.  I saw my master’s horse in the stable on that night ;  the next morning I found the door broken open, and the mare gone.  On the 30th Jan. I found the mare in the possession of Mr. Roberts, special constable of St. Asaph.  The prosecutor is cousin to the prisoner, and the prisoner had been in the prosecutor’s service.
Thomas Roberts, constable of St. Asaph. – I saw the prisoner going through St. Asaph ;  he had two mares with him, – one he was riding, and leading the other.  I followed him, and took him into custody.
William Prytherick. – I saw my mare again on the 1st of Jan. at St. Asaph.  The prisoner never offered me any thing for the mare ;  he has purchased sheep of me, and driven them off sometimes before he paid for them.  I don’t care whether you call the mare a filly or a mare ;  she is four years old.
Cross-examined by Mr. J. JERVIS. – I think she was a filly not a mare.  I have known the prisoner fifteen years, he always bore a good character.
Mr. JOHN JERVIS contended that the case could not go to the jury, as the indictment laid the property stolen as a mare, but the evidence of the prosecutor himself was that he oftener called her a filly than a mare.
The Court thought this was a question solely for the opinion and decision of the jury.  The jury found the prisoner Guilty.
The prisoner was then indicted for stealing a mare, the property of Hugh Humphreys, of Bodonolwyn, Anglesea, on the 28th Jan.
John Humphreys. – I am brother of Mr. Hugh Humphreys, the prosecutor. – On the night of the 28th Jan. my brother’s mare was safe in the stable.  I missed her next morning, and went in pursuit of her, and found her in the possession of Mr. Roberts, the constable of St. Asaph.  The mare is four years old next May ;  I never called her a filly, but when she was sucking.  I have known the prisoner for five or six years, and he always bore a good character.
Thomas Roberts. – I apprehended the prisoner in St. Asaph, with two mares in his possession.
Hugh Humphreys. – I lost my mare on the 28th Jan. and saw her at St. Asaph, on the Monday following. 
The prisoner in his defence said he had priced the mare.  This was contradicted by the prosecutor.
The jury found him Guilty.  Sentence – death recorded.
His lordship said, in consequence of the excellent character the prisoner had received, and it being his first offence, application would be made in the proper quarter for some mitigation of his sentence.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From his age at trial have found a possible baptism on Free Reg -

Hugh Hughes baptised 6 March 1796 - Church - St Eilian, Llaneilian, Anglesey

Parents Hugh Hughes and Margaret.

On censuses if it is the correct Margaret, she is in Llangefni in 1841 (age 65) and 1851 (age 79 born Llanfairpwllgwyngyll) - showing as a widow born c1772 with her 10 year old grandson Robert Jones.

Plus a potential marriage between Hugh Hughes and Margaret Williams at St Eilian 23 October 1795 - she of the parish - he from Amlwch.

This may give you a starting point to now take this further

Alan

Offline jalrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
Well I spend the day volunteering at the local charity shop, come home, and there are all these posts.  Thank you ever so much everyone.  There are now hints to look further for sure.   I like the newspaper article with its differing views on filly or mare! (I had an article dated 12/2 but it only mentioned who he had stolen the horses from).  My interest in finding out who his parents were stemmed from his death notice in 1882 which contained the request "home papers please copy" - this request was more often made to notify English relatives of some standing in the community.  Again, grateful thanks all.