Author Topic: The Church at the South Dublin Union Workhouse  (Read 395 times)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Church at the South Dublin Union Workhouse
« on: Tuesday 12 September 23 14:37 BST (UK) »
HI All, I am researching my Grandfather who was born in the said Union Workhouse, I have recently learned there was a church on the grounds where children left there would have been baptised and I see it closed in 2015  at that time named as St James Church and was run by an order of Catholic nuns but I cant seem to find out what its name would have been in the 1890's, someone suggested to be it could have been St Kevin's then but there was already a St Kevin's Church in Dublins south city at that time and it wasn't on the workhouse site. Has anyone ever come across information on it in their searches please? I am trying to track down the records for the church back then I have contacted the nearest church and looked on all the sites carrying Catholic records to no avail but knowing for sure what the church was called might help, thanks

O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Church at the South Dublin Union Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
The maps of the South Union Workhouse only mark it as an RC Church, chances are it was attached to the nearest Parish Church and any records would have been recorded there.
St.James is quite likely for example
Catherine and Ellen Dobbin 1880 were born in the workhouse
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1880/02863/2049128.pdf
and baptised in St James.
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633560#page/229/mode/1up
These give the address as South Dublin Union and their father was a schoolmaster so may have worked in the complex but I also noticed quite a few before Civil Reg with no address and wonder if they were Workhouse births.

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 18:38 BST (UK) »
thank you, that was my first thought as they are so close but  I spoke to James Street church  registrar she said they don't hold the records there but thought the church was then known as St Kevin's though she couldn't be sure about the name then only that when it closed finally in 2015 that it was then called St James Church
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 20:08 BST (UK) »
What do you mean by children who were left there?
Do you mean babies whose mothers couldn’t take care of them so left them for the nuns to find them homes or babies left on the doorstep type of thing.

A lot of parishes had more than one church but only one register book, they don’t tend to distinguish which church the event took place so there may not be a separate register for a small church.

Most babies born in the workhouses weren’t born to inmates but to people just using the workhouse hospital, they would than bring the babies to their local church for baptism.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 September 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
Do you know the church records tab on Irish Genealogy

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Put Workhouse in location , search, and than choose Dublin RC
I’m just starting to look at then now so no conclusions at this point