Author Topic: 1958 Death Certificate  (Read 1357 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1958 Death Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
As has previously been suggested I think you will need to "bite the Bullet" and order the death cert. We know that she was living in 1939 with daughter Mary U Swain and she died at the same address in 1962 according to probate record. Cannot find any electoral register entries 1945-62 for that address to see if Elizabeth was with her still.

SS

added, there's a good chance that any of the six children that outlived James & Elizabeth had was a witness to her death, 2 died before Elizabeth

Elizabeth's daughter's Kathleen Charlotte Elliot (died 1977) & Elizabeth Winifred Fennell (died 1967) & Ellen Josephine Partridge(died 1971)were all living in Cardiff in 1939 war register. All died in Cardiff.

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
As has previously been suggested I think you will need to "bite the Bullet" and order the death cert. We know that she was living in 1939 with daughter Mary U Swain and she died at the same address in 1962 according to probate record. Cannot find any electoral register entries 1945-62 for that address to see if Elizabeth was with her still.

SS

added, there's a good chance that any of the six children that outlived James & Elizabeth had was a witness to her death, 2 died before Elizabeth

Elizabeth's daughter's Kathleen Charlotte Elliot (died 1977) & Elizabeth Winifred Fennell (died 1967) & Ellen Josephine Partridge(died 1971)were all living in Cardiff in 1939 war register. All died in Cardiff.

Certificate ordered! Thanks for looking up the details. I've followed this up and got all the relevant 1939 images for the family members. Given that three of Elizabeth's children were living in Cardiff it looks very likely that the record from 1958 does relate to her. It seems only Mary Ursula Swain had any family (I've been in touch with her descendants).
Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 September 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
It will of course depend if the person registering her death knew her husband's name and / or what job he did. If hubby died many years before she did,it is likely that no one actually knew him.

Her husband died in December 1911, but based on material from the 1939 Register that's now come to light (see earlier posts), I'm hoping I can verify this by the name of the informant, and I guess the potential informants would know her maiden name.
Thanks, Chris

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 23 08:01 BST (UK) »
The below addresses may help. They are the residing places of the 3 daughters in 1957/8 in Cardiff, they may appear on death certificate re the informants abode.

Elizabeth Winifred Fennell-- 17, Tredelerach Road, Cardiff
Ellen Josephine Partridge -- 265A Allensbank Road Cardiff
Kathleen Charlotte Elliott -- 35, Axminster Road, Cardiff

SS

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 23 08:06 BST (UK) »
Probate record of James Kennedy, although he died in late 1911, probate is 1912.

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know the outcome when the certificate arrives (7 day lead time).

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 September 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
Please do let us know the outcome

SS

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 September 23 22:17 BST (UK) »
The certificate finally arrived - five working days after being despatched!

Elizabeth Kennedy was living with her daughter, Ellen Partridge, when she died. Ellen was the informant. This means there's no doubt that I've identified the correct Elizabeth Kennedy. The certificate provides further confirmation in that her 'Occupation' is given as 'Widow of James Kennedy, Shopkeeper, Confectioner'.

Thanks everyone for the advice given above. However, I have another little problem! James Kennedy features in the Ancestry trees of three families. Each of them identifies his father as William Kennedy, born 1825, and his mother as Margaret Kennedy, born 1827. Previously, I'd obtained the marriage certificate of James and Elizabeth, and James's father is named as Matthew Kennedy - not William. I assume the marriage certificate is correct, which means each of the Ancestry tree owners is incorrect in identifying William Kennedy. The tree owners are using an 1871 census return showing a family called Kennedy living in Newport; this surely must be the wrong family, even though the age of James in the 1871 census return matches his age from other sources.

I've just ordered another death certificate, that of Matthew Kennedy, died in Chepstow age 75 in 1898. It looks like it could be James Kennedy's father. Any thoughts on all of this would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Chris.

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 September 23 22:34 BST (UK) »