Author Topic: Ann McDougall, Alexander Beaton & James Dewes McBride  (Read 290 times)

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann McDougall, Alexander Beaton & James Dewes McBride
« on: Thursday 14 September 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
My current research is based around my father’s ancestors. I did have access to Scotland’s People but cannot access it now for several reasons.

One of my great grandfather’s brothers married a widow. I have found information about her first marriage through familysearch.com

Ann McDougall, born c. 1839, Portree, Inverness-shire, Scotland, died 25 August 1924 in Gorgie, Edinburgh, Scotland
She married, 7 June 1867 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire:
1.   Alexander Beaton, born c. 1839, Waternish, Inverness-shire, Scotland and died 12 February 1874 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
They had five children together and there are two unexplained.
1.   Alexander Beaton, born c. 1859 – no further information
2.   Mary Beaton, born c. 1867 – no further information     
3.   Isabella Beaton, born 22 February 1868, Milton, Glasgow, Scotland
4.   Ann Beaton, born 4 August 1869, Milton, Glasgow, Scotland
5.   James Beaton, born 10 July 1871, Milton, Glasgow, Scotland

The sixth and seventh unexplained children are named as:
Donald Macdougall Beaton, born 18 June 1878, Milton, Glasgow, Scotland
Mary Ann Campbell Beaton, born during January 1886 in Glasgow.

Ann married, 7 June 1875 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire:
2.   James Dewes McBride, born c. 1844, Irvine, Ayrshire, died 4 October 1889.

They had two children together unless Donald and Mary Ann were his and just registered as Beaton.
1.   James McBride, born c. 1878 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire – no further information
2.   Daniel McBride, born c. 1880 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, died 3 December 1917. Daniel served with the 5th Battalion, Royal Scots. His Service number was 251445. He is one of those thousands whose remains have not been located.

I would be grateful for any further information. I did have information on the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of Alexander Beaton but appear to have lost that. My understanding is that he was an engineer and was standing with others near a vat filled with boiling water when the vat disintegrated scalding him and he never recovered.   

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann McDougall, Alexander Beaton & James Dewes McBride
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
The Glasgow Herald, Friday 13th February, 1874:

MELANCHOLY ACCIDENT AT PORT-
                            DUNDAS.
          TWO MEN SCALDED TO DEATH

Yesterday morning, about one o'clock, a
melancholy accident occurred in the dis-
tillery of Messrs M'Farlane & Co., Port-
Dundas. It appears that while three
men - named respectively Alexander Beaton,
engineman, residing at 15 Braid Street; John
M'Lean, furnaceman, residing at 11 Rosslyn
Street; and Malcolm M'Leod, furnaceman,
residing at 16 Lyall Street - were working at a
furnace near to which was an iron tank contain-
ing about 25 tuns of boiling water, one of the
beams on which the tank rested gave way. The
result was that the bottom of the tank also gave
way, and the boiling water rushing out, scalded
the three unfortunate men in a most dreadful
manner. The poor men were conveyed to the
Infirmary, where Beaton and M'Lean expired in
the course of the day. M'Leod lies in a pre-
carious condition. The deceased men have left
widows and families.

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 23 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 23 10:13 BST (UK) »
Most of the information is available on Scotland's People and only there. It is not a subscription site and is available to everyone.

From the indexes at Scotland's People there are the following statutory certificates

Births
Mary McDougall, mother Annie McDougall, born 7 February 1863, registered in Glasgow, Clyde
Beaton, mmn McDougall*: Isabella 1868, Ann 1869, James 1871, Donald McDougall 1873 (not 1878), all in Glasgow, Milton
James McBride in Glasgow, Gorbals in 1876
Daniel McBride, mmn McDougall, in Glasgow, Milton, in 1879
*Also Christina, 1864, but FS gives her parents as John B and Isabella McD so she is not a sibling

Marriages
Ann McDougall to Alexander Beaton in Glasgow, Milton, 1867
James D McBride to Ann McDougall or Beaton, Glasgow, Kelvin, 1875

Deaths
Alexander Beaton, 35, mmn McKinnon, in Glasgow, High Church in 1874
Ann McDougall or Beaton or McBride, 79, mother's maiden surname McLeod, in Edinburgh, Gorgie and Dalry, 1924
Isabella Beaton, 7, mmn McDougall, in Glasgow, Milton, 1874
James Beaton, 4, mmn McDougall, in Glasgow, Milton, 1875
Donald MacDougall Beaton, 68, in Glasgow in 1941
Christina Macleod or Macdougall, 80, mmn Buchanan, Portree, 1895

and census records

Census 1841, Portree: Malcolm McDougal, 35; Catharine McDougal, 40; Mary McDougal, 14; Flora McDougal, 8; William McDougal, 5; Ann McDougal, 2
Census 1851, Portree: Malcolm McDougald, 47; Catharine McDougald, 50; Mary, 24; Flora, 26, William, 12; Ann, 9 and another family: Donald McDougald, 40; Christy McDougald, 35; Ann McDougald, 11; Flora McDougald, 7; Jessie McDougald, 5; Isabella McDougald, 3; John McDougald, 1.
Census 1861, Portree: Malcolm McDougald, 55; Catharine McDougald, 60; Flora McDougald, 25; Ann McDougald, 20; also another family: Donald McDougald, 50; Jessie McDougald, 18; John McDougald, 10; Alexander McDougald, 8; John McDougald, 80.
Census 1871 Glasgow: Alexander Beaton, 32; Ann Beaton, 31; Ann Beaton, 2. Also, in Portree: Malcolm McDougall, 63; Catherine McDougall, 66; Flora McDougall, 35; Ann McDougall, 27; Kitty Nicolson, 7. (The latter proves that your Ann McDougall is not the daughter of Malcolm McDougall and Catherine.)
Census 1881, Edinburgh: James McBride, 41; Ann McBride, 40; Ann Beaton, 11; James McBride, 4; Daniel McBride, 1.
Census 1891, Edinburgh: James D McBride, 50; Ann McBride, 50; James McBride, 14; Daniel McBride, 11.
Census 1901, Edinburgh: Ann  McBride, 59; James McBride, 24; Daniel McBride, 21.

Alexander b.c. 1859, Mary b.c.1867, and Mary Ann Campbell, b.c. 1886, do not appear in any census with Ann McDougall or Beaton or McBride. What is your evidence for their existence?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 23 01:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you most heartily for that. Your final sentences need my comment. I do not have evidence for the existence of these people. In part, that is the reason for my original post. Someone else had posted that information on https://www.familysearch.org/ and I had no way of verifying it. What I do know for certain is that Daniel McBride, the second son of James Dewes McBride and Ann McDougall died in France in 1917 during the battle that has become known as Passenchdale. His remains have not been found and he is remembered with honour at the Tyne Cot Memorial. Curiously the name McBride J appears under the name McBride D on that memorial. Daniel enlisted with the 5th Battalion Royal Scots. It may be that James also enlisted to serve but I have no proof. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 September 23 09:54 BST (UK) »
Alexander b.c. 1859, Mary b.c.1867, and Mary Ann Campbell, b.c. 1886, do not appear in any census with Ann McDougall or Beaton or McBride. What is your evidence for their existence?

Your final sentences need my comment. I do not have evidence for the existence of these people. In part, that is the reason for my original post. Someone else had posted that information on https://www.familysearch.org/ and I had no way of verifying it.

Alexander Beaton b.c. 1859: FS has 61 results for Alexander Beaton, born in Scotland 1857-1861. Scotland's People has 16. Therefore three-quarters of the entries returned on a search of FS are from sources other than the statutory birth records. Which exactly is the one that led you to look for Alexander?

Mary Beaton: see the listings in my previous post.

Mary Ann Campbell Beaton: there is just one birth of a Mary Ann Campbell Beaton in the statutory births records: in 1910, mother's surname Campbell. There is a matching death in 1928. (There is one other death of a Mary Ann Campbell Beaton, other surname McAllister, in 2017, clearly not born in 1886. This will be Mary Ann Campbell McAllister, who married William Watt Beaton in 1951.)

There are 8 births of Mary Ann Campbell in 1884-1888 with various surnames, not including Beaton, McDougall or McBride.

(If Ann McDougall was born in 1839/1840, she would have been rather old to be the mother of a child born in 1886.)

If you can tell me exactly where you found these mystery people on FS, I'll see if I can think of a way of following them up.

Offline b1gf00t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 23 03:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information provided. I believe I have all that I need so I will be taking this any further.