Author Topic: M Potts written on back of photo. Boy or Girl? Date?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: M Potts written on back of photo. Boy or Girl? Date?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:44 BST (UK) »
All very intriguing!
Thanks for all your thoughts...
The pic, which I hope will attach in a recognisable way, is Matthew and his younger sister a few years later... I think there is a definite similarity!

Aagh... it's all skewed again - do not understand why this is not working... Sorry...

Agree with you - and others. The eyes really seem to be a giveaway. You know.. this photo downloads exactly proportionate. Not sure what you are doing which is causing the image distortion. Also... the pixel height and width are quite high for an image that is meeting the 500KB max. Are you applying very high levels of compression to make this limit? Perhaps that is causing the distortion.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 September 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
A long time ago I had this sort of problem, and I wasn't the only one.  We didn't discover what caused it but it stopped happening.  See:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833250.msg6982617#msg6982617
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 September 23 18:29 BST (UK) »
Are you applying very high levels of compression to make this limit? Perhaps that is causing the distortion.

Hi Jmagarac… not that I know of! Although I did need to reduce the size to 500 kb from about 4 to 5 mb so quite a big reduction - could that be the problem I wonder?
Thanks for your assistance.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 September 23 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jmagarac and Cazza for your feedback, it's much appreciated.  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 17:21 BST (UK) »
This is off topic but I wondered if any of you could advise me… I put up another photo on 15th September and it still says ‘awaiting approval’. It was concerning the age and possible date of a woman from Northumberland who I’m sure is related to me but I don’t know who she is… so having an idea of the date would help me identify her.
Does the fact that it is still awaiting approval mean that it’s not suitable? I am not sure what the situation is.
Many thanks.