Author Topic: Edward Henry West 1851/ 61 / 71  (Read 1767 times)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Edward Henry West 1851/ 61 / 71
« on: Friday 09 September 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
In search of Edward Henry West who Married Sarah Markie who was born 31st May 1818 Flore and married Edward 3rd June 1846 at St Seps Northampton.
Edward could be from London.
I cannot seem to find this family any where ! in any census.
Edwards father was Edward Freeman West (Carpenter) in fact both Edwards were Carpenters.
Regards Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry West 1851/ 61 / 71
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Edward Freeman West (in this reply) had married Elizabeth Westley.

1841 Edward Freeman West was neighbour to William Westley, 50, Schoolmaster and wife Sarah Westley [nee Sarah Gordon] my ancestors. After Sarah Westley's death in 1849, William Westley, Schoolmaster, who had inherited from Thomas Westley's PCC Will, later went on (a Widower) to marry Sarah Hollyer, Widow of Braunston (and Daughter of William Kinsman Jones, Gentleman), at Daventry Register Office 17th April 1856, William Westley, given as Gentleman, Father Joseph Westley, Shoe Manufacturer, deceased. William Westley 72 yrs, Gentleman, died the following year at Braunston and was buried on 28th April at St Giles, Northampton.

1841 Census, Saint Sepulchre, Northampton, England, p.13 (p.12 was North-east side Upper Mount Street)
Edward Freeman West, 45, 'J' Carpenter, Y.
Elizabeth West, 45, Y.
Elizabeth West, 20, Dress Maker, Y.
Edward West, 15, Ap Carpenter, Y.
Benjamin West, 14, N.
Joseph West, 12, Y.
Emma West, 7, Y.
Henry West, 4, Y.
=
William Westley, 50, Schoolmaster, Y.
Sarah Westley, 55, Y.
Frances Westley, 25, N.
Henry Westley, 20, J Tailor, N.

[Henry Thomas Westley, son of William an Excise Officer and Sarah, was baptised 7th July 1815 at All Saints, Northampton and claims in later Census to be either born Marcham [near Abingdon] Berkshire, or just Berkshire.

William Westley, Schoolmaster (1841 Census, Northampton, England), was an Excise Officer, when Henry Thomas Westley was baptised at Northampton and family records of William Westley's government salary show him as an Excise Officer at Abingdon in 1816. Interesting at William's marriage to Sarah Gordon in 1805, his Licence says his occupation was a "Taylor". This William Westley should match up to my family tree, because one of the children from the 1838 William Joseph Westley & Martha Gibson marriage was named Kennedy Gordon Westley, born 17th August 1839 at Wold, Brixworth Northamptonshire, (Abode Old, in the Parish of "Old or Wold" Northamptonshire - Bapt Register 15th Sept).

A line of my ancestry is through William's Son, William Joseph Westley, National Schoolmaster born Abingdon who married 19th October 1838, St Giles, Northampton.

Edward Freeman West, was mentioned in the PCC Will of Thomas Westley of Northampton, Yeoman, Proved at London, 30th September 1829. [Thomas Westley who had properties in Abington Street, Northampton and Wellington Street, Northampton, England, was formerly a Tailor]
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Thomas%20Westley%20Northampton&_ep=Thomas%20Westley&_dss=range&_sd=1750&_ed=1830&_ro=any&_st=adv

Thomas Westley was also a Shareholder in the Ellesmere and Chester Canal and I only know that his one and a quarter share was worth enough to cover a loan secured on his Abington Street, Northampton, house.

If you find William Westley, 66, born Northampton, in the 1851 Census at Wellington Street, Northampton, the neighbour is Daniel Freeman, Mar, 31 yrs, Butcher, born Rutlandsh Uppingham. It might be a coincidence and I do find them (so nothing can be assumed), but might also worth checking to see if that Daniel Freeman in the 1851 Census is related or not to the above Edward Freeman West?

Mark

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry West 1851/ 61 / 71
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Post is 17yrs old.  Poster has not been online with RC since 2021 but will receive an email notification of your reply
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)