Author Topic: surname unthank john thomas  (Read 17295 times)

Offline alsden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: surname unthank
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 December 08 08:49 GMT (UK) »
hi
   Now you have solved the reason I could not find  Jack Unthank  Because is name was John Thomas
   Yes i remember Jack & Elsie  when thy came to stay at Gran's house 
    Always remember Jack as   a very jolly person always a joker, With sagging coat pockets  because
   he carried beer bottle back from the pub for Elsie,

Have you any photos of my uncle Walter  and  his  son 

The granddaughter in the crescent is Pauline, we still see each other regular.

Also remember your dads flat cap ,  Andy Capp`s    double

Offline sugarcrafter1

• RootsChat Extra
  • my grandparents wedding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 December 08 18:42 GMT (UK) »
youv got him right, jack / elsie were my grandparents my mother s is there eldest  dorothy shes still living  is 88 yr old now theres just her an her youngest brother peter  left ,
grandads  pockets sagged because he always carried a screw top bottle of beer in his pocket he was a bricklayer and used the beer to slack  his throat against all the dust   that was his excuse  anyway ,he always wore the cap and a white silky scarf around his neck
.i keep in touch with pauline by email / phone .
 i have a picture of walter with his wife  have you asked pauline she may have one  , she gave me some  that i hadnt seen before  of my grandparents .

i never found the photo youd put in your last message i couldnt find it . maybe my fault i am not an expert on the pc
salmon- norfolk/midldesborough/thornaby
crosby- thormanby
unthank- bolton upon dearne/hartlepool /durham
gunns-  streatham london
ransom- bexhill on sea
milton- london
cariss- poppleton
sanderson -bolton on dearne
marwood- northalerton

Offline secretsquirel68

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 May 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
My g-grandfather, Thomas William Unthank, came to america from Yorkshire England in 1886 and upon setteling in Sprinfield, IL worked as a mule tender in the coal mines. He married Eliza Burris. I beleive his fathers name was Abraham, who was also a coal minner. Could we be related?

Offline sugarcrafter1

• RootsChat Extra
  • my grandparents wedding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 May 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
thanks for your message , my unthanks originated from stranton  which is now west hartlepool near durham north yorkshire  , my yorkshire unthanks came from bolton upon dearne  sorry  i  do not have a abraham in my tree  as yet  ,  as far as i know of my ancestors were  publicans or bricklayers  i belive the name unthank is of norwegian origin do you know anything to the contrary of its origin
salmon- norfolk/midldesborough/thornaby
crosby- thormanby
unthank- bolton upon dearne/hartlepool /durham
gunns-  streatham london
ransom- bexhill on sea
milton- london
cariss- poppleton
sanderson -bolton on dearne
marwood- northalerton

Offline secretsquirel68

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 May 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
I do not know. I just started my research. Family legend has it that my Unthank line was in and around Liverpool, but, I know little else. When I started my research I thought it would be easy, as UNTHANK is a unusual name **HA HA** was I wrong.

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 May 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline Peter Sargison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
      Unthank is not a very common name to the best of my knowledge. Do you come from B.o.D. I do and I am certain that the name sounds very familliar, I am in 'Oz' but I should speak to my mum in B.o.D. this evening and try to get some more info'. By the way do you know just where St Andrews Tce was or is?
                                                  Denn
St andrews terrace was the original name for last row on the right going to mexborough, now mexborough rd.  My grandfather lived there in 1911.
Pete

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 January 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
      Unthank is not a very common name to the best of my knowledge. Do you come from B.o.D. I do and I am certain that the name sounds very familliar, I am in 'Oz' but I should speak to my mum in B.o.D. this evening and try to get some more info'. By the way do you know just where St Andrews Tce was or is?
                                                  Denn
St andrews terrace was the original name for last row on the right going to mexborough, now mexborough rd.  My grandfather lived there in 1911.
Pete

Of course! I just needed a prod - that's the row that always got flooded in the winter.

By the way Pete, are you one of the Sargison's that lived at the top end of prospect road? your mum was a red head?

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Peter Sargison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 January 15 17:45 GMT (UK) »
That was my uncle Eric and auntie Amy, they had three sons, Colin, Davin and Eric.  only Eric left now out of the family. Only just started using this and am unfamiliar with it, so don't know if I'm using the correct method to send you a message.  Don't know if you are aware but on facebook their is a site called 'growing up in bolton-on-dearne'.  There are many old photos etc on the site, I'm sure you would find it interesting.  I have had an interest in local history for over 50 yrs but can still glean new facts from the site.
Regards
Pete