Author Topic: William Jones c.1828  (Read 1017 times)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones c.1828
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 September 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes I found the baptism for George 15th March 1847 private and his burial on the 25th at just 13 days.St george Brandon Hill.
They are of Morgans Court where her family are living 1841
1841 Morgans Crt
Jeremiah Dennis 35 indep y
Frances 30 y
Sarah 14
Matilda 12
Thomas 10
John 5
William 1

Looks like Matilda was buried 18th May 1852 Wycliffe church Totterdown .
age 23 years Bristol

William Frederick bapt 29 June 1851 Clifton st Andrew William and Matilda Jacobs Wells porter
He may have died Sept qtr.

I found Emma's baptism now but nothing really sticks out.I'm wondering if she's the Emma at Christmas St .Christened once at home when she was poorly and again with brother William.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 September 23 16:38 BST (UK) »
I found Emma's baptism now but nothing really sticks out. I'm wondering if she's the Emma at Christmas St. Christened once at home when she was poorly and again with brother William.
It seems that they are two different Emma's.
  • It looks like the Emma that is living on Christmas Street is the Emma that married Henry George Soloman at St. Philips and Jacobs Church in Bristol. She identifies her father, George Jones as a Mason. This marriage took place on 15th Dec 1869.
  • There is another for Emma who married Henry Simmonds at St Philips and Jacobs Church in Bristol. She identified her father, George Jones as a Fly Proprietor. This marriage took place on 16 June 1864.
What is intresting though, is whilst I believe Emma who married Soloman is the Emma who is living on Christmas Street in 1851, both of them have the same Witness. William Mapowder[?]. The second witness for Emma and Soloman is Matilda Mapowder[?], whereas the second witness for Emma and Simmonds is Ann Mapowder[?].

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 September 23 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
Well,the Mapowders are all one family.
William Mapowder born c 1817 schoolmaster ,his wife Ann Smallcomb born c 1820 and daughter Matilda born 27th June 1850 nad bapt 4.8.1850 at St Jacobs and St Phillips.
Ann's sister Maria did marry a William Jones glass artist 1848 in St Pauls
He was the son of John and Mary cordwainer bapt 16.4.1826 St Phillip and St Jacobs of St Paul

But there are tons of John Jonses.

The George Jones mason married Eliza Lilley 26 July 1847 at St James.
Father William Mason
Bapt to William and Fanny nee Earl 27.3.1825 St John the Baptist of Wellington St
The parents marriage 8.1.1816 St Paul Portland Square.
The family minus William are on the 1841 census at Church Lane St Micheal .Frances is 45.

It's possible that William  was bapt 13.9.1801 at St Pauls s of George and Elizabeth Jones or 1 Sep 1805 St J and P s of George and Mary and he could be your George fly owner's brother

It's all very mysterious.

ps turns out it is George and Mary who were George Jones  fly owner's parents
George  lewis Jones scrivener married 20.4.1795 Mary Lewis  at St Michael
Which fits with the George Jones father as a clerk on his latter marriage.
The obvious George Jones married to Elizabeth Watkins signed with a cross

So George and Mary Jones possible children
Ann Reese Jones 6.11.1795 St Nicholas
Eliza 11.10.1801 St Nicholas
William 1.9.1805 St J and P  (father of George the mason ???)
George 12.10.1806 St Nicholas the fly owner
Selina 21.2.1808 St Nicholas
James 18.11.1810 St Nicholas

Ciderdrinker

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again and once again Thank you for the information you have provided.

I have over the last couple of days, on and off trying to make sense of everything you wrote however I am getting slightly confused, sorry. Would you mind walking it through with me?
I will start with the life of George Jones, the fly owner.

Marriage to Eliza Matthews on 21 Nov 1825 in St Nicholas Church, Bristol.
Marriage to Mary Jane Smart on 10 Feb 1866 in Holy Trinity, Smethwick, Staffordshire

Children;
  • Belinda Jones - 20 Apr 1826 - Clifton, Bristol.
  • William Jones - 24 Mar 1828 - Clifton, Bristol
  • George Jones - c.1830 - Clifton, Bristol
  • Eliza Jones - c.1833 - Clifton, Bristol
  • James Jones - c.1834 - Bristol
  • Edwin Jones - 2 Sep 1838 - Bristol
  • Sarah Jones - 4 Apr 1841 - Bristol
  • Martha Jones - c.1842 - Bristol
  • Richard Jones - c.1844 - Bristol
  • Frederick Jones - 15 May 1846 - Bristol
  • Emma Jones - c.1847 - Bristol
  • John Jones - c.1848 - Bristol

English Census;
1841: Aged 30, A flyman living in St Augustine The Less, Gloucetsershire. [Piece: 371, Book: 5, Folio; 17, Page number: 29]
1851: Aged 45, A Fly proprietor living in St Augustine The Less, Gloucetsershire. [Piece: 1951, Folio: 165, Page number: 45]
1861: Aged 59, A House Agent living in Birmingham, Warwickshire. [Piece: 1951, Folio: 165, Page number: 45]
1871: Aged 64, A Box maker living in West Bromwich, Staffordshire. [Piece: 2978, Folio: 94, Page number: 2]
1881: Aged 74, A General Dealer living in Harborne, Staffordshire. [Piece: 2963, Folio: 109, Page number: 15]
I am seeing two baptism records for George Jones, but I am not able to determine which one belongs to him.
  • George Jones on 10 Jun 1804 in St Nicholas, Bristol. Father: George Jones. Mother: Elizabeth Jones.
  • George Jones on 6 Oct 1805 in St Michael the Archangel on the Mount Without, Bristol. Father: George Jones. Mother: Elizabeth Jones

I am not sure who George Lewis Jones, Mary Lewis and Elizabeth Watkins are that you have found. I assume Elizabeth Watkins is George Jones (above) mother? But you mention that George Jones, who is the Flyowner (above) has the parents of George Lewis and Mary?

Sorry if I have confused you there, I have been trying to work it out myself.

Regards,
ASmithy

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 11:00 BST (UK) »
Just as it happens, I am now able to understand everything. Not sure why it took me so long.

So, George (Senior) has a middle name, called Lewis? and he married a Mary Lewis or do you think he took on her name as a middle name as a sign of respect of some sort?

I also managed to find the baptism record that was on 12 Oct 1807 in St Nicholas, Bristol.

May I ask how you were able to see that he was a Scrivener as I am struggling to see that, and I don't think I ever have seen the occupation of someone that far back.

Kindest Regards
ASmithy.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 October 23 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I went for George Jones and Mary Lewis as George's parents because on his second marriage to Mary Smart he says his father is George a clerk.

The two marriages for George Jones to an Elizabeth ,seemingly Watkins and George to a Mary  - Mary Lewis in this case give us some info. The one to Mary Lewis luckily says he is a scrivener which is a clerk.So it seems to be the right one. Occasionally a Vicar will include an occupation on earlier marriage records but it is unusual.

George Jones and Elizabeth Watkins  spinster 16th July 1786 .Both groom and bride sign with across so not he's not a clerk

George Lewis Jones  of this parish scrivener and Mary Lewis of the same spinster by banns.20 th April 1795
signed Geo Lewis jones and Mary Lewis
wit Richd Edwards and Thomas Righton.

I'm guessing George Lewis Jones and Mary Lewis were some kind of relation.Usually a surname as a middle name is given because it's the Mother's maiden name or there is some kind of relative further back. Maybe a rich uncle and the parents are hoping for a little something in his Will.

All the best
Ciderdrinker

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 October 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
You have been very helpful in giving me valuable information and lessons. Thank you!

Kindest Regards
ASmithy

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 October 23 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi just to add
One of the witnesses to George and Mary's marriage was a Thomas Righton.

Thomas Righton cabinet maker married 11.6.1798 by licence at St Michael Archangel  Mary Jones widow
Both signed .
witness Robert Langford and Sussana Andrews made mark.
Mary seems to have been buried 21.1.1810 as Mary Wrighton.

Thomas's previous wife Rachel buried 23.9.1796 St Michael Archangel born c 1736
Rachel took an apprentice William C Jones 1793 to be a cabinet maker

Could Mary Jones  be George's widowed mother?
Only burial at St Michaels I can see for a possible husband is Rees Jones of the Mint 21.1.1789.
But no baptisms I can see for a Rees and Mary Jones.
Although  a Rees Jones did marry a Mary Lewis at St Nicholas 6.11.1764

Possible burials for George and Mary Jones
Mary Jones  Hospital St James 7.7.1838  age 75 years so born 1765 (fits as 45 on birth last child 1810)
3 possibilities George
George of Clifton at St James 14.1.1840 age 74 years  so born 1765
George parish clerk Christ church Bristol 26.11.1821 age 55 years so born 1766
George from Christ Church at Temple 21.3.1824 age 48 years  so born 1776.

I've tried to find a baptism but there are lot of Jones

Ciderdrinker