Author Topic: Date and age of this woman from Northumberland?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Date and age of this woman from Northumberland?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for improving the image Loord74 - I failed to transfer it correctly.
Jaywit - Thanks for your suggestion - unfortunately the people I thought it might be were all married earlier than the dates suggested by most people (dates that I agree seem likely). My grandmother would fit with early 20s but I don’t think it’s her - so I am still a bit stuck! Am going to trawl through various photos and see if I can reach any conclusion. Will post on here if I get anywhere!
Malshie - I also think she looks lovely!
Many thanks for all your help and thoughts.

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again I am now wondering if the original photo could be as far back as 1892? If so the woman might be my great grandmother Isabella Potts (nee Rutherford). I attach a couple of photos of her from 1929 and would be interested to know if anyone else thinks that might be the original person in the photo who was married in 1892. In one of these pics she is with my aunt aged about 4 and in the other with her husband who was once Superintendent of police in Newcastle upon Tyne. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:48 BST (UK) »
The other photo…

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 October 23 07:00 BST (UK) »
I'd say there is a distict possibility they are of the same person.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 October 23 08:10 BST (UK) »
Definitely the same person.. same dress, same way of holding her head.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 October 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
I think there is quite a strong likeness - apart from the colour, the hair looks similar, and her overall expression is much the same, apart from the head being inclined the opposite way, which could perhaps have been at the photographer's insistence rather than her natural posture.

However, if Isabella Potts (nee Rutherford) married in 1892, it's hard to square that with the dating suggested for the first picture. Did she have a daughter who married in the 1920s?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 October 23 11:55 BST (UK) »
I would say that all three photos look to have been taken in the 1920s, so not the same person.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Cazza54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 October 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
Arthurk- she did have a daughter who was married in 1920, my grandmother, but there is no resemblance - I am sure it is not her. The photo was clearly treasured and I assume my grandmother had kept it and then my aunt who I inherited it from. Maybe Isabella was ahead of her time in style by a couple of decades?! I don’t know!
Thanks again for all your opinions.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 October 23 20:08 BST (UK) »
Sometimes it's possible to identify a bride with the help of a newspaper report of the wedding, as these can give a description of the dress, bouquet etc. You'd need a list of possible suspects to work from, and then be fortunate enough to find such a report.

In a quick look I didn't spot one for either Isabella Rutherford or who I think may be your grandmother, but you might do better, and, of course, might have more names to look for.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk