Author Topic: The child migrant trust Australia  (Read 465 times)

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The child migrant trust Australia
« on: Friday 15 September 23 17:08 BST (UK) »
A relative of mine landed up in Cunnamula Queensland in the 1960s . He went off the radar at some point but I suspect he was a child/teenage migrant and sent to the outback as a white male to repopulate rural areas. So"Does anyone know anything about the child migrant trust in OZ?". I would like to try and find out more about how immigrants where treated etc . Thanks .

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The child migrant trust Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 23 19:13 BST (UK) »
The book "Empty Cradles" by  Margaret Humphries (of the Child Migrants Trust) explain her campaign to find the truth of the child migration.

It`s heartbreaking; parents as well as children lied to, children illtreated . 

There was a film "Oranges and Sunshine" based on the book.

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Well , thank you both for the interesting info i will take a look soon . I have probably opened a can of worms , but who cares.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 23 22:44 BST (UK) »
I contacted this organisation regarding a child sent to Australia via Barnardos in the 1930's. They were very helpful
There is also a book by David Hill (himself a child migrant) called The Forgotten Children which is worth a read although it deals mainly with the Fairbridge Farm School in NSW.
Good luck with your search,
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
If you google Nazareth House Swansea and scroll down to WalesOnline there is an article about a man who has written a book on his experiences after being sent to Australia as an "oprhan".

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
The book "Empty Cradles" by  Margaret Humphries (of the Child Migrants Trust) explain her campaign to find the truth of the child migration.

It`s heartbreaking; parents as well as children lied to, children illtreated . 

There was a film "Oranges and Sunshine" based on the book.

I can highly recommend this book and the lengths that the author goes to, to help reunite Mothers with their children, sadly, for some, it was too late  :-\
The children were shown a film about life in Australia all " Sunshine and Oranges" but the reality for them was very different. Cheap labour and child abuse was the reality for some of the unfortunate Children. it certainly tugs at the heartstrings  :'(

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 18:47 BST (UK) »

I googled this before my previous reply because I always want to call the film  Sunshine and Oranges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oranges_and_Sunshine

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 September 23 10:14 BST (UK) »
I contacted this organisation regarding a child sent to Australia via Barnardos in the 1930's. They were very helpful
There is also a book by David Hill (himself a child migrant) called The Forgotten Children which is worth a read although it deals mainly with the Fairbridge Farm School in NSW.
Good luck with your search,
Jackie

There were Fairbridge farms in Western Australia too, it must have been a name they used across the country
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History