Author Topic: Adobe Firefly  (Read 275 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Adobe Firefly
« on: Friday 15 September 23 21:10 BST (UK) »
I had an update message from Adobe CC yesterday. It flagged up an update of PS 25.0 (new??)  with Firelfly AI. 

Has anyone used Firefly and is it worth downloading? 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe Firefly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 23 16:17 BST (UK) »
Greetings Gadget,

I am using Photoshop Beta v25. I also have my Photoshop 2023 updated to now v25 as well - it then becomes Adobe 2024. They are functionally the same (with Generative AI and all), with the exception that Beta allows users to test and provide input on upcoming developments. Essentially it queries you on the results and asks for suggestions. I haven't really used FireFly much. When I did play around with it, it did not produce results that I was happy with. It creates images from text prompts (people with distorted faces and sometimes extra feet and fingers) - sometimes not bad). Not bad for caricature and illustrative type imagery. It has Text Effects (text with with cool fill-in styles and textures) - all built in. Seems like Web (small imagery and graphics) could benefit from it. Used to access FireFly in a Beta mode online. I have not played with it much after updating my Photoshop to 2024. Only did that yesterday and not even sure how to implement the FireFly tools within the app. Saving grace is that it is FREE with your subscription and the update only takes like 2-3 minutes. Give it a go...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:49 BST (UK) »
I investigated it in CC but, like you, didn't find Firefly useful for what I do!. I keep the last two active (23 and 24) but haven't downloaded 25 yet.

Thanks for comments.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 23 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Not that useful in regard to restoring historic photographs.

Firefly at the moment is helpful for extending the edges of images, for instance, in the graphic design/multi-media industry. Although the program can build entire scenes. It reminds me of an automated version of clipart from yesterdayyear, but photorealistic.

I understand Adobe included Firefly in competition to programs such as Canva which have had this feature for a while.

Although, like most AI programs, they are in the early stages of development and will require quite a few more years before they prove or become useful tools for professional programs such as Photoshop.
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)