Author Topic: Holyhead Yard, North Wall, Dublin  (Read 396 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holyhead Yard, North Wall, Dublin
« on: Saturday 16 September 23 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

I've had a trot through Google and other sources but I can't seem to find much written or photos about the history of Holyhead Yard, North Wall, Dublin where my 2 x great grandfather, Robert Carter, worked as a 'Cattle Yard Carer', according to his death record in 1874.

It would also appear that Holyhead Yard was his family's home address, (it also appears on one of his daughter's marriage records), so I'm assuming it was some sort of dwelling that came with the job.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any pictures or other information about this place from the mid-1800s when my family would have been there, or what Robert Carter's job  might have entailed, beyond the obvious.

Many thanks in advance.
Runner55

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Holyhead Yard, North Wall, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

I've had a trot through Google and other sources but I can't seem to find much written or photos about the history of Holyhead Yard, North Wall, Dublin where my 2 x great grandfather, Robert Carter, worked as a 'Cattle Yard Carer', according to his death record in 1874.

It would also appear that Holyhead Yard was his family's home address, (it also appears on one of his daughter's marriage records), so I'm assuming it was some sort of dwelling that came with the job.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any pictures or other information about this place from the mid-1800s when my family would have been there, or what Robert Carter's job  might have entailed, beyond the obvious.

Many thanks in advance.
Runner55

Checked newspapers which have several articles eg Tuam Herald, 11 Apr 1868
Found cattle pens at the North Wall an old Dublin map but Holyhead Yard not identified, else not a lot to be found as yet.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
Before abattoirs and refrigeration, cattle were exported to Britain live. Usually brought to the port of departure by train.  North Wall was a big freight train depot and also where presumably cargo boats went over to England.  (My understanding is North Wall rail freight depot is still open to this day).

Presumably when the cattle trains arrived at North Wall they would be unloaded into some sort of holding area till the cattle could be loaded onto cargo boats. I’d guess your ancestor’s job was about unloading from the trains, herding  and then loading onto the ships plus taking care of the animals in that process.
Elwyn

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much hanes teulu and Elwyn Soutter for both replies.  Very interesting. Much appreciated.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
I had a look at old photos for North Wall, Dublin and one showed the "Transit Sheds." Newspapers mentioned delivering the cattle by train and transfer to the boat for onward transmission. There were cattle pens on the east side of North Wall station. There were cattle yards on the west side of Guild Street and south of Mayor Street Lower.

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 23 17:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 23 18:33 BST (UK) »

There were cattle pens on the east side of North Wall station. There were cattle yards on the west side of Guild Street and south of Mayor Street Lower.

Here's a map [1897-1913] showing the cattle yards to the west of Guild Street and south of Mayor Street Lower.

Also shows North Wall Station and the cattle pens to the north.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
That's the map I I checked out. Unfortunately, I can never capture Geohive images for attaching to a post - I end up posting a URL that simpy delivers the initial, zoom in screen. I recall how to capture these images was the subject of a thread some while ago? 

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those further replies, hanes teulu and Klltaglassan.  Interesting to see Mayor Street (many of my family lived at Upper Mayor Street) and an address of 'Sheds' appears on a marriage certificate of a member of this branch of the family, which I'm assuming would refer the Transit Sheds portion of the area.

That's great, thanks again.