Author Topic: Looking for some Irish expert help- MULLANS of Shankhill  (Read 923 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR SOME IRISH EXPERT HELP - MULLANS OF SHANKHILL
« Reply #27 on: Monday 18 September 23 20:20 BST (UK) »
Wow

This is great

Only thing I'm wondering - They have James recorded as 4 years old on the 1911 census when we know that he was born 1883

They do say they had 7 children and 5 living
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR SOME IRISH EXPERT HELP - MULLANS OF SHANKHILL
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 September 23 20:25 BST (UK) »

Only thing I'm wondering - They have James recorded as 4 years old on the 1911 census when we know that he was born 1883

James b. 1883 is with his wife and family nearby in Ballyhowne, that 4 year old must be another James, I haven't looked into him, but perhaps Joseph's son.

Edited to add: I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a double entry in the census for the son James born to James Mullan and Margaret Dowie, the families were living near each other, maybe 4 year old James was visiting the grandparents.  It looks like the Joseph Mullan listed as married in that 1911 census return was married to Susanna Patterson in 1906, I can see possible children to the couple, but no James to match the 4 year old in the census return:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1906/10123/5683040.pdf

BTW, I should have said by now, the Jane Mullan in grave E1 254, City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension (reply #5) may well be Jemima's sister Jane, the one born in Scotland.  The age in the burial record is in the ballpark and I haven't yet found a marriage record for her.

Offline MissSarah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some Irish expert help- MULLANS of Shankhill
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 16:39 GMT (UK) »
The William Matthews mentioned in this chat Is my great grandfather x