Author Topic: St. James Westminster - Stewart & Hutchinson  (Read 258 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. James Westminster - Stewart & Hutchinson
« on: Sunday 17 September 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for two men who were apparently buried “in St. James” in London.  They were both from County Antrim and were probably cousins.  They were relatively high status, so there is a chance there may be a tablet or vault.

Ancestry has the burial records which confirms their burial dates:
-   Col. Charles Stuart – 2nd Dec 1710
-   Archibald Hutcheson Esq – 18th Aug 1740

I have found transcripts of St James headstones, but the earliest date I found was 1795, so I guess it relates to the new(er) graveyard at St James Gardens?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/007977723?i=292&cat=374978

Does anyone know if there were any burials inside the church?

Online Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St. James Westminster - Stewart & Hutchinson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 23 12:08 BST (UK) »
The Wikipedia entry for St James's Piccadilly differentiates between notable burials in the parish and those in the St James's Gardens site, so I think it would be reasonable to assume there were burials either within the church itself or that there was once graveyard beside the church. The Wiki entry for Thomas Sydenham (d. 1689) says he was buried in St James's Piccadilly and that there is a memorial stone to him on the wall of the staircase.
I think your best bet would be to contact the vicar or churchwarden directly: https://www.sjp.org.uk/

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 September 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy.  I found an email address for the Associate Rector which I’ll try.  I noticed on the “Visit Us” page of their site there is a photograph showing tablets attached to a wall, so there is hope!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 23 13:31 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast confirms burial place as "St James, Piccadilly." His biography under "The History of Parliament" gives date of death as 12 August but no mention of burial details.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
I think the FindMyPast record is a transcript of the burial record visible on Ancestry.  There's quite a detailed biography of Hutcheson here:

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1715-1754/member/hutcheson-archibald-1659-1740

Charles Stuart or Stewart is a bit more uncertain.  I'm trying to find proof that he is Major/Colonel Charles Stewart of Ballintoy in County Antrim.  Various sources give his date of death anywhere from 1703 (when he wrote his will) till 1711 (year of probate) and suggest he died in Spain, Ireland, or England.

If he is who I think he is, then Stewart and Hutcheson were 1st cousins 1x removed.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 September 23 18:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1715-1754/member/hutcheson-archibald-1659-17

That's the site I was referring to under "The History of Parliament." The moment you see "MP" that's the site to visit.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 September 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
Oh sorry, so you did!  I must have thought you were still talking about FindMyPast.