Author Topic: Christina McCallum Blair  (Read 345 times)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christina McCallum Blair
« on: Sunday 17 September 23 20:10 BST (UK) »

Christina McCallum Blair (Twin with brother John) born 21 02 1899 in Barrhead, Glasgow, Scotland. Parents Margaret McAllister and Alexander Martin Blair. Not having any success finding a marriage or death for her in South Africa. Most of the family lived in Grahamstown, Cape Province.

On Sept 10th 2023 you provided a Death and Probate information for her aunt Euphema McAllister  and signature on one of Euphemia's Documents. was C.Blair. dated 1968

It would be appreciated if you would help me find something to establish, Marriage or Death as I don't seem to be very good at researching all the South African Collections on Family Search.

Thanks, Dooker

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Christina McCallum Blair
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 September 23 20:22 BST (UK) »
If the signature was C Blair in 1968 & it was hers - she would have been 69yrs old but still surname Blair - suggesting either the signature is not hers or she never married??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 September 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
   Thanks for your reply. 

That was my thoughts that if she Christina  signed in 1968 as C.Blair she did not marry.  I failed to say she always signed her name as Christina McCallum Blair.

I have looked at the 29 Collections for South Africa/ Africa but failed to find anything.  Any suggestions.

Her Twin brother died in 1961 in Pretoria.  I did not find anything for Christina there. The brother had spouse and children . One always thinks as twins they live close to each other.

Anything else you think of will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your reply

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 23 22:56 BST (UK) »
Christina McCallum Blair (Twin with brother John) born 21 02 1899 in Barrhead, Glasgow, Scotland. Parents Margaret McAllister and Alexander Martin Blair. Not having any success finding a marriage or death for her in South Africa. Most of the family lived in Grahamstown, Cape Province.

On Sept 10th 2023 you provided a Death and Probate information for her aunt Euphema McAllister  and signature on one of Euphemia's Documents. was C.Blair. dated 1968
Just posting the link re Euphemia for others who may have an interest/info. on the family...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=876365.0

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 23 03:08 BST (UK) »
Looking at Gendatabase.com (a pay for viw site) she died in 1988

Personal Information
Full Names:CHRISTINA MC CALLUM
Surname:BLAIR
Maiden Name:
Date of Birth:1899-02-21
Identity Number:9902210006084
Death Information
Date of Death:1988-06-08
Place of Death:GRAHAMSTOWN
Cause of Death:CARDIAC FAILURE

They dont have an estate file listed she may not have left one
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
    Hello Gillian,

Thank you very much for the information about Christina.  I appreciate that you paid to view this information.  That was not my intention that one should pay. I would gladly reimburse you.

Now I should be able to complete the history of the McCallum & McAllister  sister and brother families who went to South Africa.  Brave people, South Africa, so different from Kintyre, Argyll.

Thanks again for your help

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 23 23:39 BST (UK) »
Its ok - I had a month's Sub - not too $$ just pointing out that you need to look beyond Familysearch sometimes or information
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 September 23 00:24 BST (UK) »
  Thanks Gillian.

Yes, I use other areas when searching but had never used the South African one. Just came across it by chance.
I have A Find my Past Subscription as I really like it for Census.  Also have had a My Heritage Sub.Most of my ancestors are Scottish so I use Sc People also.

Have gone to Edinburgh many times to Sc People and it is a great experience to be there where all the records are kept.

Researching is a great past time for me.

Thanks again for your help.