Author Topic: Harvard University yearbooks  (Read 207 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Harvard University yearbooks
« on: Monday 18 September 23 03:56 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to Harvard University yearbooks?  I would like to know if Dwight Logan Reid [b. 1887 in Wisconsin] attended Harvard as is claimed in his obituary.  If he did, it would have been sometime between 1910 and 1917.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard University yearbooks
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 23 04:22 BST (UK) »
I don’t have access.

However, Ancestry has several results for (just) 1910; perhaps this was him?
Dwight Logan Reid
Estimated Age: About 20
Birth Year: About 1890
Yearbook Date: 1910
School: University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Location of School: Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Yearbook Title: Quiver Yearbook

Perhaps he attended University of Wisconsin and transferred to Harvard?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 23 04:40 BST (UK) »
He attended the State Normal School in Oshkosh in 1909/1910 (that's a far cry from Harvard).  I have a photo of him there on the Debate Team.  Then there's a gap from about 1910 to 1917.  In 1917, he was married with two kids and teaching at the Northern Normal and Industrial School, Aberdeen, South Dakota.  In 1918/19 he got a MS in agricultural education at the University of Illinois and then continued there as an instructor until about 1924ish.  At that point, he moved to Los Angeles and became the head of the science department at the David Starr Jordan High School where he remained until his retirement in 1952.  He taught physics and chemistry there and was singled out as an inspiration by Glenn Seaborg when he received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1951.  He must have been a great teacher.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 23 07:22 BST (UK) »
Wow, very impressive.  He must have enjoyed his calling.

In addition, found by an internet search for:
"dwight l reid" aberdeen wisconsin

“…and a Graduate of the College of Agriculture, University of Wisconsin…”
Source - Bulletin dated 1919: “Bulletin, Issues 9-17 By Illinois. Board of Vocational Education and Rehabilitation”

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 23 07:27 BST (UK) »
https://jcast.fresnostate.edu/about-us/history-jordan-college.html
  Note: I’ve never used the site before; I do not know if the site is “safe”

It gives a very short breakdown of his degrees (dates and places); Harvard is not mentioned.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 23 08:29 BST (UK) »
Here's the obituary.  Frankly, I've always doubted the bit about Harvard.  The information must have been given by his (second) wife or one of his children.  Maybe they, um, tarted up his resumé a tad.

Here's what Seaborg said: 

"Two people inspired me. One was Dwight Logan Reid, my chemistry and physics teacher at David Starr Jordan High School, Los Angeles.  Up until the time I entered high school, I had no exposure to science and, therefore, little knowledge of its possibilities. I chose literature as my major subject, and I took no science until my junior year when, in order to meet the college requirement, I took a chemistry course.  Largely due to the enthusiasm and obvious love of the subject displayed by my teacher, Dwight Logan Reid of Jordan High School in Los Angeles, chemistry captured my imagination almost immediately. I had the feeling, 'Why hasn't someone told me about this before?'  Dwight Logan Reid didn't just teach chemistry. He preached chemistry."

Seaborg also said:  "I could have told you again that I fell in love in the ninth grade with another girl, Vivian Dawson, and again sort of in college. That was the daughter of Dwight Logan Reid.  She wound up going to UCLA, Beth Reid, and I dated her for about a year."

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 23 08:40 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks.  I didn't know he had taught at Fresno.  So he left Illinois in about 1922.