Author Topic: help please with Dropbox  (Read 339 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
help please with Dropbox
« on: Monday 18 September 23 16:47 BST (UK) »
Dropbox is driving me mad. I have the basic free plan.
I have been trying to delete files from both my PC and Dropbox as I really don`t need to keep a lot of the stuff.
I`ve unsynced  lots of files / documents with Dropbox for the time being but the Documents folder is still  synced.
When I try to delete a file / document from Dropbox it also deletes it from my PC, then if I restore it , it goes back to Dropbox where I don
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: help please with Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 23 16:51 BST (UK) »
Dropbox is driving me mad. I have the basic free plan.
I have been trying to delete files from both my PC and Dropbox as I really don`t need to keep a lot of the stuff.
I`ve unsynced  lots of files / documents with Dropbox for the time being but the Documents folder is still  synced.
When I try to delete a file / document from Dropbox it also deletes it from my PC, then if I restore it , it goes back to Dropbox where I don

Ooops that shouldn`t have gone.

When I try to delete a file / document from Dropbox it also deletes it from my PC, then if I restore it , it goes back to Dropbox where I dont want it as it`s taking up space.
As you can probably guess I have not got a clue .
I`ve attached an image for Dropbox showing the green tick to show that the Documents folder 
is synced ( I think)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
What is happening is how Dropbox works, you make a change on one and it changes on the other.

You can stop this behaviour by doing this under "Can I stop syncing specific folders?":

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/pause-resume
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
 Thanks. I am getting into a real mess. I have ended up with the entire contents of my PC trying to be  uploaded to Dropbox. Aaaargh  ::)

Is is possible just to delete my account and create a new one starting from scratch.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
The dropbox folder you see on your computer is just a reflection of what is on the dropbox server.

If you want to delete a file from dropbox but still have it on your computer, then try this (just on one file so you can follow the steps)

Make a folder on your desktop

Go to the dropbox folder on your computer

when you see the file you want to delete from Dropbox, then right click the file name , choose to COPY it and then paste it into the folder on your desktop. Check that the file is there and you are still able to open it.

If so,  then NOW you can delete it from the dropbox folder, it then updates (synchs) with the server and that file has gone (but you still have it in the folder on the desktop)

I use dropbox a lot, I mainly use it for sending family history files/images  to contacts - and once they confirm they have them saved on their computer I delete them from the dropbox folder which frees up space on my free account ( I transfer a lot of files this way).
BUT as I never 'move' a file into dropbox I just 'copy' it into there from where I have it stored on my hard drive and leave the original where it was so, if needed, I still have it in my family history files

Boo